New Retail Quarter in the City Centre

athorby

NCP on Wellington St, £4.50 all day.

I suppose it depends on your definition of cheap. I think that's reasonable.

---------- Post added 13-03-2018 at 11:03 ----------

I read regularly in the Sheffield Telegraph about high demand for high quality office space in Sheffield, generally with quotes from letting agents. I imagine there's plenty of unsuitable old office blocks, but they are just that, unsuitable.

I wouldn’t take much notice of the S/T, it wouldn’t exist without the agents, this is not the old days, when it was a proper newspaper.

NCP on Wellington St, £4.50 all day.

I suppose it depends on your definition of cheap. I think that's reasonable.

that is cheap, thanks. However, if that's the one near the old fire station, she used to park there, but there were a lot of drug users and aggressive beggars inside, and she felt unsafe using it.

I'll check with her though!

Edited by feargal

As recent events have shown (Toys R Us etc), retail is changing, lots more people shopping on line - Sheffield has absolutely no chance of competing with Meadowhall or established retail centres like Leeds/Manchester.

People need to get over retail as the be-all-and-end-all of city centres. Sheffield does have a lot to offer in city centre in terms of arts, music, culture and open spaces - build on that, not some dream of creating another Oxford Street.

I have always followed the plans for the Retail Quarter since moving to Sheffield in 2003. They were talking about a new John Lewis store for the city back then and after all the years of waiting, they decide that the people of Sheffield are not worthy of a brand new, state of the art store. No, only other countless cities, like Leeds, York, Leicester, etc, are worthy of this. Refurbishing the existing store is simply nowhere good enough. The building is not fit for purpose. The car park is so outdated. Leeds is the example that this city should be following. Their store is fantastic. The Council leaders can smile in the newspaper but they know deep down that Sheffielders are being shortchanged. If they are not going to move the store, they should demolish it and give us brand new one on the same site. That is the least we deserve.

I have always followed the plans for the Retail Quarter since moving to Sheffield in 2003. They were talking about a new John Lewis store for the city back then and after all the years of waiting, they decide that the people of Sheffield are not worthy of a brand new, state of the art store. No, only other countless cities, like Leeds, York, Leicester, etc, are worthy of this. Refurbishing the existing store is simply nowhere good enough. The building is not fit for purpose. The car park is so outdated. Leeds is the example that this city should be following. Their store is fantastic. The Council leaders can smile in the newspaper but they know deep down that Sheffielders are being shortchanged. If they are not going to move the store, they should demolish it and give us brand new one on the same site. That is the least we deserve.

That's up to John Lewis isnt it. Hardly the council's fault.

If JL have decided they dont want to move and spend money on a new store then that's their choice.

As recent events have shown (Toys R Us etc), retail is changing, lots more people shopping on line - Sheffield has absolutely no chance of competing with Meadowhall or established retail centres like Leeds/Manchester.

People need to get over retail as the be-all-and-end-all of city centres. Sheffield does have a lot to offer in city centre in terms of arts, music, culture and open spaces - build on that, not some dream of creating another Oxford Street.

what garbage you will always need retail and sheffield city centre hasnt got half the stores other cities has

I'm interested to know which car parks do cheap all day parking? Genuine question... My friend needs to park in the city centre and is paying a ridiculous amount for day parking!

Sheffield Council - Rockingham St and Carver St £5/day

Bank Park - Milton St £4/day

Bank Park - Sylvester St - £3.50/day

Sheffield Council - Copper St, Silver St - £3/day

Total Car Parks - Chatham St £2.80/day

Bank Park Meadow St - £2.50/day

Sheffield Council - Willey St, Stanley Lane, Trinity St - £2/day

You can also park on-street just outside the city centre in the Highfield Permit Parking zone (The area between London Rd and Queens Rd)on up to 10 hour bays for £2.80 / day. There is free parking in all of the permit parking zones around the edge of the city centre but it tends to be taken early in the day.

That's up to John Lewis isnt it. Hardly the council's fault.

If JL have decided they dont want to move and spend money on a new store then that's their choice.

yes but sheffield council dont help things as usual since labour took back over the city has gone backwards fact its a well known fact there difficult to deal with

yes but sheffield council dont help things as usual since labour took back over the city has gone backwards fact its a well known fact there difficult to deal with

What are you talking about.

This is a private business choosing whether or not to be an anchor tennant in a private property development.

The Council proposed a scheme in partnership with various developers, construction companies and contractors. John Lewis showed interest in being a anchor tennant of the development. The global economy changed, the scheme collapsed and the developer walked leaving the council up a creek without a paddle. Subsequently John Lewis CHOSE to stay put and invest in improving their existing store instead.

The Council have now tried to salvage the scheme in some new form with a new developer. John Lewis were offered a place within it, but as of time of writing THEY have CHOSEN not to sign up.

Im sure there are lots of things the council can be blamed for but I really think you are misguided on this specific point.

I say again. John Lewis made the decison not the council.

Face facts, even if they wanted to, there is no way the the council will risk losing their most valuable retailer by threatening CPO to knock down their store and demand they move against their wishes.

If you are that aggrieved about the poor offering in the city go aim your fire at John Lewis Head Office.

Edited by ECCOnoob

what garbage you will always need retail and sheffield city centre hasnt got half the stores other cities has

Because it has a huge out of town shopping centre three miles from the city centre - why would any of the stores there want another large store so close?

And yes we will always need retail (I never disputed that), but it will look different to how it used to thanks to internet.

We'' also always need the media but that doesn't mean the Sheffield Star will be hear in paper form forever