New Retail Quarter in the City Centre

athorby

Unfortunately there's only gonna be one tallish building in the development, but it will only be 60m ish.

Some of the old buildings will be saved. If you read earlier in the thread it has all the info about it. However I don't think that many of the old buildings should be saved, as old doesn't necesseraly mean good!!!

Likewise tall doesn't necesserily mean good - except to the denizens of the skyscrapercity site.

Likewise tall doesn't necesserily mean good - except to the denizens of the skyscrapercity site.

Lol. You got me there!!! :P I do agree though. A well designed lowrise building is (almost) always better than a badly designed highrise.

For info they're relocating the fire station which I believe apparently cost us the best part of a cool £30 million to build back in the late 80's because it's present location, ie where JLP is going to go in the NRQ is not suitable for a fire station. (They're now building a new fire station on Eyre Street at a cost of goodness knows how many extra £millions to make way for JLPs flagship building.)

You are indeed correct. The current Fire Station isn't in a sutiable place for them, and it's also lacking in disabled access. But it wont cost us to move it, as the lovely people at Hammerson (building the NRQ) are paying for it for us :P

For info they're relocating the fire station which I believe apparently cost us the best part of a cool £30 million to build back in the late 80's because it's present location, ie where JLP is going to go in the NRQ is not suitable for a fire station. (They're now building a new fire station on Eyre Street at a cost of goodness knows how many extra £millions to make way for JLPs flagship building.)

I think your figures are waaay too high. One of the original expenses though was that the FB management wanted to (needlessly) have their own offices, maintenance control rooms facilities at the central fire station in the city centre. That's how things used to work in the 80's, but not £30m's worth.

The new fire station is little more than a garage with a telephone. I understand that the other facilities are being, or already have been transferred elsewhere... the training centre at Woodhouse IIRC. No doubt we will have somebody on here that has better information on that point.

I think your figures are waaay too high. One of the original expenses though was that the FB management wanted to (needlessly) have their own offices, maintenance control rooms facilities at the central fire station in the city centre. That's how things used to work in the 80's, but not £30m's worth.

The new fire station is little more than a garage with a telephone. I understand that the other facilities are being, or already have been transferred elsewhere... the training centre at Woodhouse IIRC. No doubt we will have somebody on here that has better information on that point.

Garage with a phone? Methinks someone in teh planning dept watches Trumpton! :lol:

And not a very pretty garage either...kind of early sixties brick style :rolleyes:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=310570&page=13

Somewhere in that thread is mentioned that the control centre will be in Rotherham.

Edit; - but why do they need a four-storey bulding for what is supposed to be just a garage ???

It's going to involve a new site for the fire station and John Lewis. It's going to have IKEA's first city centre store.

An IKEA store ????

Don't know where you get your rumours from but can you really believe John Lewis would agree to have an IKEA store next door :D