Roughest (and Hardest) pub in Sheffield

Miss_60

Once went on a date in Sheffield with a man that took me to the Shakespeare in Heeley, market tavern, Cannon and Sheaf on Bramall Lane all in one night.

Didn't last.

Been laughing at all these quotes tho they were posted years ago. This man knew how to show you a good time didnt he talk about sweeping a girl off her feet! And they say romance is dead!

Quite like this sort of post that encourages nostalgia!

Yeah, the Cannon had a reputation, so did the Market; but I never felt threatened and the bar staff were great.

Going back in time...remember the tap room at the Moseleys on West Bar? there was usually a few tramps having a warm in front of the coal fire...could turn nasty if disturbed.

How about the Hare & Hounds on Nursery Street?

Agree about the Magpie...you walked in to the sound of your own footsteps, let alone out...

These of course are all now shut!! Are you wanting a rough pub which is open?

On the nostalgic side,and I know it's not in sheffield but a few years ago on a friday night a lot of sheffielders used to travel out to the Marquis of Granby at bamford for the disco,but more than often you'd end up in a fight.:help:Then all of a sudden a Dance would break out!:huh:

On the nostalgic side,and I know it's not in sheffield but a few years ago on a friday night a lot of sheffielders used to travel out to the Marquis of Granby at bamford for the disco,but more than often you'd end up in a fight.:help:Then all of a sudden a Dance would break out!:huh:

I rememember the Marquis of Granby, walked back a few times from there to Lowedges in the early hours ... driving it now in the car, I can't believe we did it! Stoke Hall used to be a favourite too?

I rememember the Marquis of Granby, walked back a few times from there to Lowedges in the early hours ... driving it now in the car, I can't believe we did it! Stoke Hall used to be a favourite too?

Yeh Stoke Hall a bit further out went there a couple of times for disco,looked reyt grand from outside,but once inside what a dive plaster crumbling off the walls,purple and cream paint and poorly fitted carpets!Yaaaak!

Mind you I'm only going back 40years.:gag:

Yeh Stoke Hall a bit further out went there a couple of times for disco,looked reyt grand from outside,but once inside what a dive plaster crumbling off the walls,purple and cream paint and poorly fitted carpets!Yaaaak!

Mind you I'm only going back 40years.:gag:

I remember something kicking off in Stoke Hall which spilled outside ... it was pitch black and we were hopelessly outnumbered and a couple of us jumped over a wall opposite the entrance, we must have dropped 15ft down and bank and into a river, though we were never going to hit the bottom!!! Never went again, stuck to Five Ways at Owler Bar.

Hello All,

I've just read the lot. None of you seem old enough to know what hard is ( notice I can spell, unlike the moronic youth of today with their mobie syntax). It's not the pub, it's the people who frequent it. I was born and bred in Pitsmoor. Men came there just to test themselves and went home battered and defeated. I went round Sheffield, with friends and feared no-one. Still don't!! What you miss today is respect and the pecking order. Don't kid yourselves, a hundred 20 year olds from today wouldn't stand a chance against against half that many from the old days of Sheffield. You'd get eaten for breakfast. Anyway, hope your pensions are as big as mine..when I get it.

Dave

More fool you. I reckon I could have you old man

More fool you. I reckon I could have you old man

Must admit that as a twenty year old a long time ago if a boozer was known to be packed with birds and had groups or a disco on,then me and my mates would be there,Beer birds and music would though eventually lead to bother.:suspect:Pubs where this happened more than often were the Blue Bell at hackenthorpe,Old Harrow Gleadless TE. Centrespot,Big Tree Woodseats,At weekends the Lathkill Dale Hotel and the Monsal Head hotel the guys out there were really possessive with their women,:loopy:one of the other pubs to avoid out of sheffield was the Grapes at Dalton in Rotherham.Never went to Pitsmoor though,think possibly because it was full of ugly women and blokes having nowt better to do than look for bovver!:hihi:

Archived