Sheffield Fishermen

sandie

As a young Sheffielder with an intrest in fishing we used to use the public transport to go to Clown,Aston Ponds,Dam Flask, Rivlin,and the Wolf Dam.

As we got older we went further afield my question is who remembers places like Torksey,The Little Fourty Foot (Hubberds Bridge) Swineshead Boston, Coronation Cut Spallding, The Trent at Newark and Bardsby for Pike not forgeting the Nidd and the Wharf in West Yorkshire

As a young Sheffielder with an intrest in fishing we used to use the public transport to go to Clown,Aston Ponds,Dam Flask, Rivlin,and the Wolf Dam.

As we got older we went further afield my question is who remembers places like Torksey,The Little Fourty Foot (Hubberds Bridge) Swineshead Boston, Coronation Cut Spallding, The Trent at Newark and Bardsby for Pike not forgeting the Nidd and the Wharf in West Yorkshire

i remember getting the milk train to go fishing or the s u t or booths buses,liked newark dyke as it was first stop and last pickup..:thumbsup:

As a kid,I honed my angling skills in Graves Park, when it was safe to go fishing with a bunch of 10 yr old mates. As I got older we were allowed to stay up longer,so we used to wait for the 'parkie' to go home, then fish in the boating lake. All fish that were caught were put in the 'little pond' as we called it.

I also remember the trips to Dam Flask,Rodgers pond @ Killamarsh..catching the Booth & Fisher bus on Woodseats & being fascinated by the funny ticket machines, & buying sweets at the shop in Killamarsh that seemed to stock everything...rat traps,coal & paraffin next to the cheese counter:D

We also used to catch the Law Bros coach on Sunday mornings, that took us all over Lincolnshire...Cowbridge,Tattlesall,Boston etc.

BTW, we organised all the trips ourselves, finding out bus/coach times etc.

hi mely,i used to fish joseph rodgers pond myself,caught my first pike there,we even had a go in the canal at killamarsh once and foxen dam at eckington,sometimes we would fish graves park and others we would sneak onto the ponds at beachief abbey at night,a couple of times we walked from the manor to dam flask with all our tackle,and walked back again...:hihi:

hi i used to go to hubberts bridge manymoons ago with dad in his friends car but he uses to call it south forty foot drain many happy memories there catching at the time what i thought were big fish there wrer three bridges as i can remember swineshead ?,hubberts ,but i car`t remember the other one but for some reason warbourton sprimgs to mind anybody know ?

hi mely,i used to fish joseph rodgers pond myself,caught my first pike there,we even had a go in the canal at killamarsh once and foxen dam at eckington,sometimes we would fish graves park and others we would sneak onto the ponds at beachief abbey at night,a couple of times we walked from the manor to dam flask with all our tackle,and walked back again...:hihi:

How did your little legs cope with the walk from the bottom of Lock Hill?

I used to have to stop for a ciggie on the way, and I was a big fit (well fittish) lad then :P

The canal at Killamarsh used to hold a good head of quality roach, but I am not sure if there's any canal now let alone any fish in it:mad:

Joseph Rodgers did hold some quality pike, as well as a lot of big bream; these were brought through from the Nethergreen & Balfours pond which was further through the woods. This was drained a few years ago to allow mining, but who knows if it was ever allowed to refill itself.

I am pretty sure that Rodgers pond is now used by Nethergreen club, so you would only need to join the club to get a permit to fish it. You should be able to get it cheaper, cos I think they do discounts for you old folks :D

owdlad :hihi: do you remember the old bailiff,he will be long gone now,he used to give us half price tickets to suppliment his pension.:hihi: as you say there were some big pike in there,one was taking the young ducklings on a regular basis,the bailiff allowed us on in the close season to try to catch it,my mate harry latched on to one at the far end bay,he had a solid glass rod with 15 lbs line on it,and half a mackeral,the fish took off and we couldnt stop it,30 minutes later it was still out in the middle shaking its head,it wouldnt budge,what seamed like hours later we saw a railway sleeper sized pike almost on the bank,i reached down to try to lift it under its jaw,it shook its head,the treble hooks ended up wedged behind the bone in my finger and the pike was gone

i ended up in the royal hospital having the hooks removed, we never did get that monster:)

i think there are houses built on what used to be the canal now at killamarsh,a shame really as it was a good place for the young uns to learn their fishing skills

hi i used to go to hubberts bridge manymoons ago with dad in his friends car but he uses to call it south forty foot drain many happy memories there catching at the time what i thought were big fish there wrer three bridges as i can remember swineshead ?,hubberts ,but i car`t remember the other one but for some reason warbourton sprimgs to mind anybody know ?

The one you are thinking of is Wyberton Bridge. And your right it is the South forty foot, the little forty foot is a tiny drain running parallel on a back road that leads to Chapel Hill.

The one you are thinking of is Wyberton Bridge. And your right it is the South forty foot, the little forty foot is a tiny drain running parallel on a back road that leads to Chapel Hill.

thanks painterman nearly got it right its the old age showing i must have been thinking about the bread :hihi:

hi melv i to used to fish graves park the bit about the boating lake is what we used to do but the only fish seemed to be perch sometimes we would go round the side climb the metal railings and fish with a bit of line & a hook with a matchstick for a float so when the parkies came you could just throw it in the grass & jump back over with no evedence lol

Archived