Sheffield Fishermen

sandie

Train from Victoria Station, used to leave at 6.30 Sunday morning to 5 Mile House, on Witham then onto Bardsley.

Jeffcocks and SUT coaches to Boston area.

Swineshead, White Rails, Hubberts Bridge etc etc etc.

Used to stop in Sleaford for a bacon sandwich and cup of tea for breakfast.

Used to have to listen to Sing Something Simple on the radio on the way back for all the old codgers.

:hihi: Did you mean bardney near lincoln for pike fishing ?? I used to go there when i was a mere slip of a lad, best pike 28lbs 6oz caught on a quarter pound herring, not bad eh? i also used to go to graves park and fish the boating lake as well as beauchief ponds but for me the best days were spent fishing the sheaf from millhouses all the way to totley, it still holds some really good trout now. also have you tried the don at neepsend lately ??? last year i had a 4lbs 11oz brown trout out of it on a trotted worm freeline.... plus there are loads of really hard fighting chub and barbell now:)

owdlad :hihi: do you remember the old bailiff,he will be long gone now,he used to give us half price tickets to suppliment his pension.:hihi: as you say there were some big pike in there,one was taking the young ducklings on a regular basis,the bailiff allowed us on in the close season to try to catch it,my mate harry latched on to one at the far end bay,he had a solid glass rod with 15 lbs line on it,and half a mackeral,the fish took off and we couldnt stop it,30 minutes later it was still out in the middle shaking its head,it wouldnt budge,what seamed like hours later we saw a railway sleeper sized pike almost on the bank,i reached down to try to lift it under its jaw,it shook its head,the treble hooks ended up wedged behind the bone in my finger and the pike was gone

i ended up in the royal hospital having the hooks removed, we never did get that monster:)

i think there are houses built on what used to be the canal now at killamarsh,a shame really as it was a good place for the young uns to learn their fishing skills

That would be Bill, he always had a dog with him, and the dog seemed to be older than him.

Seems as if things have been getting their hooks (and other things, if the stories are to be believed) into you for years then. :hihi:

hi i used to go to hubberts bridge manymoons ago with dad in his friends car but he uses to call it south forty foot drain many happy memories there catching at the time what i thought were big fish there wrer three bridges as i can remember swineshead ?,hubberts ,but i car`t remember the other one but for some reason warbourton sprimgs to mind anybody know ?

Tattersall?

:hihi: Did you mean bardney near lincoln for pike fishing ?? I used to go there when i was a mere slip of a lad, best pike 28lbs 6oz caught on a quarter pound herring, not bad eh? i also used to go to graves park and fish the boating lake as well as beauchief ponds but for me the best days were spent fishing the sheaf from millhouses all the way to totley, it still holds some really good trout now. also have you tried the don at neepsend lately ??? last year i had a 4lbs 11oz brown trout out of it on a trotted worm freeline.... plus there are loads of really hard fighting chub and barbell now:)

the river don meets the river rother at the end of sheffield road and holds some big fish ie pike ,perch and chub and is free fishing so you dont have to travel to far these days!!!!

The canal at Killamarsh used to hold a good head of quality roach, but I am not sure if there's any canal now let alone any fish in it:mad:

Joseph Rodgers did hold some quality pike, as well as a lot of big bream; these were brought through from the Nethergreen & Balfours pond which was further through the woods. This was drained a few years ago to allow mining, but who knows if it was ever allowed to refill itself.

I am pretty sure that Rodgers pond is now used by Nethergreen club, so you would only need to join the club to get a permit to fish it. You should be able to get it cheaper, cos I think they do discounts for you old folks :D

A short length of the Killamarsh Canal (Chesterfield Canal) is open for angling on a day ticket basis at K.J.S. Fisheries, that's up Station Road in Killamarsh.

Nether Green/Balfour Darwins (Woodall Pond) had the water outlet lowered when it was drained,

so it wont ever fill up again.

Nether Green A.C. Formerly Rodgers Pond (Killamarsh Pond) Is now an independent angling club, nothing to do with the Nether Green Social Club, but season permits are available.

I Just like to keep the facts right owdlad. :thumbsup:

I remember going with me Grandad and Uncles we used to rent a cottage at Holland Fen, and as a lad used to fish the little 40ft drain. It was only about 3 -4 ft deep and maybe 6ft wide and you had to be very very quiet sometimes you could see the shoals of fish coming up the drain only small ones, although did catch a nice bream one day. Also used to fish a bay section on the drain called Gill End does anyone remember this? Great memories.

That would be Bill, he always had a dog with him, and the dog seemed to be older than him.

Seems as if things have been getting their hooks (and other things, if the stories are to be believed) into you for years then. :hihi:

old bill...:hihi: thats the lad,people said he was past it but you didnt know he was there till you turned around,he knew every inch of the pond,if we were in the neck end and catching a few perch he would point us further down the bank for some good roach,nice old bloke,can you remember the brown dobberman from the farm,viciouse bugger that one :mad:

Archived