Story: 'The Unfortunate Bennetts.'

Mantaspook

I'm a bit slow off the mark sometimes but I'd have commented anyway - honest! I found it very witty and I'm looking forward to chapter 2. I love wry British humour - not always available where I live, so thanks Mantaspook!

By the way, in para 5 I think you mean she sees her expression in the mirror, not impression.

Oh, and I'm not sure you've commented on one of my contributions yet, Mantaspook, so perhaps I should issue my own challenge :hihi:

Edit: hunted and did indeed find comment! My apologies!!

An intriguing opening setting the scene nicely. I'm sure that the old buffer would not be at all safe with a pea shooter, let alone a shotgun.

I'm not sure about when this introduction happens; I'm guessing during the summer, otherwise the source of the explosions in the trees could be seen. As for guessing at a year, I would think that the idea of a young lady in a sports car suggests a contemporary setting - maybe insert a line about the Manor being

"one of the few places she could find without resorting to the satnav"

Archived