Family tree

paula953

I am trying to find out about my family and where they lived.

They lived in Beighton a long time ago 1880's onwards. Ok I know that no one would have known them that is not what I am asking. Their name was Quinn (John Quinn married to Sarah Ellen Newton) he worked in the colliery along with his sons Arthur, James (my Grandfather), John and Martin. They used to live at 31 Norcroft Beighton.

Does anyone know where Norcroft is or was? as I would be interested in finding a map that had the area they lived in on it.

I know this is a shot in the dark but information about the area would be helpful.

Also just a thought my Great Grandother Sarah Ellen Newton came from Chesterfield and was supposed to have come from a wealthy family in that area. They had something to do with Rope making I think and lost there house etc due to her brother being a gambler. Does anyone have any inforamtion on Rope factories during the 1800's? I cannot think where to start finding out about this so thought I would try this. Thank you.

Paula says; Does anyone know where Norcroft is or was?

In a previous job I used to deliver to Norcroft Cottages Beighton.

These where a group of terraced houses on land at the junction of Woodhouse Lane and Beighton Road (north side of Beighton).

I believe the houses are no longer standing. I think they where demolished for the A57 link road.

I'm sure someone will tell you if I'm wrong and they're still standing.

Archived