Whiteley Wood Works

Novice

Anyone got ANY info on these works around 1840?

My forefathers lived/worked there and I think it is now what is called Forge Dam.

I think the Tyzacks owned it or worked there for a while, I woud love to get some sort of documents or maps/pictures of it.

A record of the workers there would be great, to see if my relatives are listed.

Hi Novice

I'm sure I've seen a reference to a book about the History of the Tyzack family in Sheffield.

It maybe an idea to make enquiries at the Sheffield Local History Library on the 1st floor of the Central Library or give them a ring.

Maybe another Forummer could give you more info about it.

Happy days!

There's a brief but detailed history in "Water power on the Sheffield Rivers" by David Crossley. According to that, the forge (now Forge Dam) was leased to Henry Unwin & Co from 1838/39 to the mid 1860's and owned by a Miss Silcock, a descendant of Thomas Boulsover who owned it previously. On her death it passed to her cousin John Hutton, who sold it in 1873 to a John Denton. There's no mention of the Tyzack's I'm afraid. Its proper name was Whiteley Wood Forge. There's a plan of the site dated around 1826.There was also Whiteley Wood Rolling Mill, later called Wire Mill. There's less detail on this one, but it does say that in 1840-41 there were 3 wheels, an Emery Wheel, a Saw Wheel, and a Cutler Wheel, and the first was to let in 1846, and after that is often listed as 'empty', though the main works seem to have been occupied. Still no mention of Tyzack though I'm afraid.What name are you looking for? I can have a look through the book for you.

Thanks for the replies.

My Family name is Wild.

The actual address that I have found in the 1861 census is: 105 Whiteley Wood Works, Park Head, Ecclesall Bierlow, Sheffield...and my great, great, great Grandfather (Joseph 47) and great, great Grandfather (John 18) are listed there (with mother and brothers and sisters) as Saw Handle Makers.

Now...is this address the ACTUAL works or a totally different address?

Or were there cottages on site for the workers?..if so are they still there?

I have been down to Forge Dam a number of times (most Tues, Wed, and Thurs mornings at the moment for one reason or another) and there is a cottage next to the cafe, still inhabited, but it looks a little too big for a workers accommodation. The stone work for the wheel is still there but can only be seen through the back window of the cafe.

I would love to get hold of a map or site plan for this era, to find out how it was laid out and where 105 is.

I have also emailed Kelham Island to ask for their help.

By the way...it's John 18...not John:hihi: ....don't know why that happened?

Same thing happened to me a while ago & I couldn't get rid of the thing!

The water power book has a plan of around 1826 which is from a document in the Sheffield Archives ( ref Fairbank SheD 407L)

I'll scan it and email it if you can PM me an email address to send it to. I've a couple of pictures of the buildings from old postcards too, and they all show much the same as you see now. I'll scan those too if you're interested.I've had another look through the book but can't find any mention of Wild I'm afraid. The address is a bit of a puzzle. The boundary between Ecclesall Bierlow and Upper Hallam is the River Porter, which would put the works just inside Upper Hallam. Park Head in E.B. would be out towards Whirlow, some distance from Whiteley Woods. I'll have a dig through my maps and stuff, I like a good mystery! Watch this space!

I could be wrong, but I thought the Tyzack's were associated with Abbeydale Industrial Hamlet. I've been a few times with my kids on school trips and seem to recall the Tyzack (John?) family as being the owners.

You're right, the Tyzacks had the hamlet from 1849 to 1935, when it was bought by J.G.Graves and given to the city for use as an industrial museum.

You're right, the Tyzacks had the hamlet from 1849 to 1935, when it was bought by J.G.Graves and given to the city for use as an industrial museum.

At least I know it wasn't just me paying attention as my daughter has just informed me it was William (not John) Tyzack. :D

Novice you've probably already seen this, but just in case:

Thomas Bolsover, (snip) erected, about I769, mills on the

Porter Brook, below his house, Whiteley Wood Hall.

Perhaps he did not wholly give up silver-plating. It has

been said,+"that, in addition to his rolling mills, he erected at

Whiteley Wood what are now known as " Forge houses " as

a plating manufactory, where buttons and snuff-boxes were

made, " buffing " being done higher up the stream, on the

site of Fulwood Corn Mill. Joseph Mitchell and Co.‹who

succeeded Bolsover and Co., Mitchell being Bolsover's son-in-

law‹made gilt and plated-buttons in addition to edge-tools and

saws; which seems to give confirmation to the above statement.

The ruins of the Whiteley Wood Works remain to this

day, and the name of their site, Bowser (Bolsover, Bowsever)

Bottom, perpetuates the spirited but ill-starred enterprise of

one of Sheffield's industrial pioneers.

Taken from Here

Beware - very long!

The 'Wild Man Of The Woods' would have been their neighbour then?

I just had another 'Power Surge' in the memory department, was it Margaret Tyzack who wrote the family history?

Come on you history buffs let's be knowing?

Happy Days!

Archived