Whiteley Wood Works

Novice

The address is a bit of a puzzle. The boundary between Ecclesall Bierlow and Upper Hallam is the River Porter, which would put the works just inside Upper Hallam. Park Head in E.B. would be out towards Whirlow, some distance from Whiteley Woods.

The borders would have been a lot different in those days though wouldn't they?

e.g. Ecclesall used to stretch all the way to West Street at one time, (more of my family...from Broomhall Street & Portland Lane!)

The address is a bit of a puzzle. The boundary between Ecclesall Bierlow and Upper Hallam is the River Porter, which would put the works just inside Upper Hallam. Park Head in E.B. would be out towards Whirlow, some distance from Whiteley Woods.

The borders would have been a lot different in those days though wouldn't they?

e.g. Ecclesall used to stretch all the way to West Street at one time, (more of my family...from Broomhall Street & Portland Lane!)

No, it's quite an ancient boundary, and still exists.

The Button Mill is the large building overlooking the parking places as the road/path turns right towards the playground, it's above and to the left, with a private driveway up to it.

Thanks for the PM, I'll let you have the plan asap.

Algy

• 4 years later...

Hello Novice.

I have come across your message. If this helps in any way,my wife's Gx2 Grandfather Matthew Elliott lived in Forge Houses in the 1870's.He was a Quarry man. His son Frederick George grew up to own the quarry. Then Brook House Farm. Fred's son Henry was a Saw Handle Maker.He and his wife had 12 kids.

Respects. Ivan of kath2ivan

Archived