Stannington people

teddie

Yes, The Peacock and Top House are still there, as are Minnies and The Sportsman....unfortunately:gag:.

Hare and Hounds shut a few years ago and is looking very sorry for itself nowadays. Some suggestion that the brewery (who apparently own the disused cricket ground at the rear) want to convert it into apartments.

Anyone confirm this?

Yes we have computers and they even let us have mobile phone's and sky this far up the hill!! Depends how old you are Teddie and which school you went to and when?

I moved from Stannington to Hillsborough and have been trying to get back up the hill ever since, and finally this weekend I moved back to a nice new place!!

The Minnies has has re-hual and is looking very nice and is no -smoking, the Hare looks as rough as ever, the Crown and Glove is still there - but I could never be bothered to walk all the way up the hill, Peacock is still open and the Sportsman has been taken over by a nice lady called Jean, the Deerstalker is open but up for sale.

And after all my unpacking today I will be having a few pints in the Sportsman with family & friends.

• 1 month later...
Anyone out there who comes from Stannington, i lived there until I was 21, only been back once, just wondered if the Top House, Peacock etc was still there??

Yes both still there. Top house is still a place for pipe smoking and dominoes and Peacock has some pretty waitresses.

• 4 months later...

Most of my life, from Stannington,but hey we've been taken over by so many aliens, and am sorry that happens to be a compliment, they aint even that, but a true Stannington res knows what i mean !!!!!Unfortunately most of old trads now gone. Anyone has same passion as my good self,plz get in touch !

Anyone has same passion as my good self ?

I lived on the opposite side to the Crown & Glove & about 100 yards up in 1944, I lived with my aunty for many years due to the blitz.

Those were the days when most people there were self sufficient & it was mostly farms and cottages, my mothers side of the family lived at middle cottage many years ago, which is about a mile up the road from the Crown & G, and that's where my mother & auntie were born.

There was no electicity at the time and all the house lights were gas, the radio worked from an accumulator [battery] which had to be taken to be charged up every so often.

It was a different place to what I remembered when I last visited in 1990

I'm not native Stannington but I did grow up and mis-spend my youth there on Roscoe Mount! All my family still live up there but no longer on Roscoe - they are spread a little wider now. Still miss the place to bits and would love to move there as an Honourary Native : )

Archived