60's Batmobile in city centre

Spirograph

As a kid in the sixties I loved all things Batman having seen the caped crusader as played by Adam West on TV.

I remember being taken by my friend and his mum to somewhere in the city centre - I seem to think it was the 'Green Shield Stamps' headquarters (or did I conjure this up from the depths of my subconcious?) - to see the actual Batmobile from the show. We joined a large crowd outside this building (don't remember much about the place) and the Batmobile appeared.

I was probably in some sort of catatonic ecstacy though I do recall noticing the two blokes who jumped out dressed as the dynamic duo looked more like Del and Rodney.

It was the (or one of the) actual car(s) however. This must have been around '66'/'67. Anyone remember anything about the Greenshield Stamps place?

Mullet says: Anyone remember anything about the Greenshield Stamps place?

I remember at the time Batman and Robin was a bit of a revelation on British Television, shown if I remember on a Saturday tea-time.

I seem to recall the Green Shield catalogue shop was on the corner of Rockingham Gate and Charter Row. In later years this was Wison Pecks much smaller music shop. It is now a lighting shop (near to cash converters).

I wish I could get hold of a catalogue from the time, to see what (crap) you could get for your stamps.

• 5 years later...
  • 11 months later...

Batman & Robin opened the Green Shield Stamp shop in June 1967. I watched the proceedings from Eldon House on the other side of Charter Row. Even from that distance it was plain that they were not being played by Adam West & Burt Ward.

Archived