Sheffield 1975 16mm film

goldenfleece

Just acquired a 30 minute 16mm film made in Sheffield in 1975 by the University of Sheffield. It was a promotionally film shot here to try and get 6th formers to apply to Sheffield University, includes a great number of scenes of 70s Sheffield, as well as what students looked like in 1975!!!! Hysterical, actually.....

University Students Union put this in a skip last week and it was rescued by someone thinking it might be interesting. The things they throw out eh? Worth preserving as a great social document about Sheffield student life 30 years ago. We believe, after doing some research at the University, that it to be probably the only surviving print, one of 8 original copies produced for the University in 1975, and shown in schools around the region until around 1980 when it would have been replaced by a new fangled "video" tape version.

Its 30 minutes run time and done in that kind of old fashioned promotional documentary way, with well spoken narration and interviews with "real" 1975 students!!!

Must try and arrange a public screening of this for anyone interested in Sheffield and student life in 75....

Originally posted by WALLBUILDER

A public showing, what a great idea. The chance to see the Sheffield of my youth, I've always wanted to see a copy of the promotional film that is seen partially at the beginning of The Full Monty as well..

I used to have this on VHS somewhere but cant find it now. It was excellant, made by the Sheffield Chamber of Commerce. 'Sheffield..City on the move' I think was the title, but there were one or 2 similar productions made around the same time. Some fabulous shots taken inside the old Fiesta nightclub.....

Wallbuilder says; I've always wanted to see a copy of the promotional film that is seen partially at the beginning of The Full Monty as well..

Wallbuilder get youself down to the local library and ask for a copy of "The Reel Monty".

Following the success of The Full Monty, the promotional film which was made in the 1970's was re-released on V.H.S under the new title.

Brilliant film, very nostalgic, very cheesy in places.

Originally posted by mega_monty

goldenfleece, how about getting the 16mm converted to VHS or DVD, then for a modest fee other forum members could watch or have their own unique piece of sheffield history.

Then again would you get into bother with copyright etc ?

Not sure about copyright, I have emailed the University last week and received zero reply so I guess they dont give a **** about their old promo films. It was in a skip after all on its way to the incinerators or dump-site. I will telecine it to DVDR, probably later this week and make it available to members. If the University object I am sure they will email me, but its of zero commercial value to them now so I guess they really are not interested...

Or if there is a forum "get together" I could bring along my 16mm projector and show it on a wall or something......

The things these places chuck out.(and we got permission to rummage in the skip from the porter)..we also a few computers, admittedly dated old 486 machines but all in working order which could have been donated to a good cause perhaps? ..27 out of date Mars bars in a box dated sell by October 1987 (one speculates about this....why?), a box of 10 as new printer cartridges for the HP Deskjet 500 series, dated old printers around in about 1995/6 but I know someone who still uses one...a 1982 CAMRA souvenir (cracked) mug for the Students Union old beer festival (must be collectable)...boxes of old University prospectuses .......2 good office swivel chairs, and I mean good and unbroken, around 10 or so smashed PC monitors that looked only smashed when they were chucked in the skip but they might have been dead already of course.

Oh and a roll of tasteless red carpet with a yellow monogram....

Archived