Sheffield 1975 16mm film

goldenfleece

I transferred the 1977 version of the film I mentioned which I acquired yesterday from the same source. Its the same as the 75 version except more University based and longer with more lecture and student interview footage, and nothing much of Sheffield in general. The original has "sprocket damage" and wont telecine at all, took it to a converson place on Abbeydale road, they could do nothing with it. I managed to do one myself onto DVDR but the sound went slightly out of sync with the picture....great image quality and sound....sound just a bit slower than the picture...something to do with film being 24 frames per second and camcorder being 25 fps or something....

have the master DVDR nearly ready now, Monday should see me giving out details if you want some copies, but remeber these are NOT films about Sheffield the City, but designed for 6th formers coming to SHeffield University, so they are biased towards the educational fraternity rather than any tourist element.

Still cant get the sound of the 1977 film to match the pictures.....lip sync is about 2 seconds off, not that it seems to matter much. Tried moving the sound track in my editing software, frame by frame to match the audio to picture in Pinnacle STudio 9, but 2 seconds out is the closest I can get it.

trech stuff, the film was projected onto my screen and captured direct to camcorder and then transferred to the PC for cleaning up. The audio was captured to CDR independantly and ythen matched with the image. Can only assume the projector was not running exactly 100% to true speed, which may account for the audio track being slightly longer in length than the original sound track on the film. Tried all kinds of sound editing and re-sizing but that just makes things worse. ANyone an expert in this process?

Originally posted by pietro

Wallbuilder get youself down to the local library and ask for a copy of "The Reel Monty".

Following the success of The Full Monty, the promotional film which was made in the 1970's was re-released on V.H.S under the new title.

Brilliant film, very nostalgic, very cheesy in places.

Or you can buy the video from http://www.allcreditmedia.com/thereelmonty/

£14 seems a bit much to me, does anyone know if this i the usual cost for these kind of things? A long time ago I worked in an old peoples home and we had various films of old sheffield, don't know how much they cost but they were quite interesting.

Will the Star shop not stock this?

There is probably thousands of feet of old Sheffield film in the form of home movies on 8mm lying around in peoples attics. My parents used to take 8mm film of the family growing up from 1963 through to around 1975. Only one year of that saw us in Sheffield though and the only Sheffield views are Hallam Golf course, a building site, some swings at Hallam playground and long pan shot of some storm clouds over Lodge Moor.

But there would have been lots of people with 8mm cameras in the 60s and 70s in certain parts of Sheffield. In fact I have the facilities to transfer this to DVDR, as long as its not soundtrack 8mm film......

I would love to spend a day in the City centre with the camcorder capturing everything.....in 20 years time it will all be totally different again and someone might be interested.......

• 2 years later...
£14 seems a bit much to me, does anyone know if this i the usual cost for these kind of things? A long time ago I worked in an old peoples home and we had various films of old sheffield, don't know how much they cost but they were quite interesting.

Will the Star shop not stock this?

I bought this from the Star Shop in town a couple of years ago.Think they still sell it. I would say is a must for all Sheffielder's.

Archived