Hatfield House Lane Secondary Did You Go

• 5 months later...

does anyone remember Carl Mathew Hamilton James, Harun 'Roony' Qader

i remember you lot norman milburn fred hawnt danny wall .....remember me anita sharp my mum used to live opposite fred on fircroft avenue as did i until 21.....ahh those were the days

• 4 months later...

Ok not sure if this thread is still going but I went to Hatfield House Lane and left in Dec 1962 in the days when you could leave as soon after 15 that a holiday fell.

Was in Mr. Bradbury's class in my last year and had been scared of him in the years before we got in his class but he was great. He made you sit boy - girl to stop gossiping (not sure what he did not stop though!). I remember once a friend had left her bag in the aisle and he picked it up and dropped it out of the window onto the terrace below - her bottle of ink smashed and everything was covered!

Remember Mr. Jennings too - had him for Geography - he would mark my work well even if every other word was spelt wrong (dyslexia was not heard of then!) and we would play country, county, town and he would give the winner 3d for an icecream at lunch time. The only time he got mad was one day when the class was next door to him and we were waiting for our teacher to get there. A girl walked past and Michael Longley whistled - Jennings came in asking who it was, well he did not own up and no one snitched and he said if they did not own up he would cane all the boys - Michael did not own up, no one snitched and they all got caned! Can you imagine doing that these days!

Lots of memories, not all pleasant but the majority were and that is what matters. My two younger brothers went there was well - bused it from the Cliffe. Dorothy Walker nee Sidaway

Hi there Tangerine - the name does not ring a bell but it should - mind you I knew the people on the part of Titterton that looked out onto the school - remember playing with kids on the left had side, as you go up Britnall Street but no names are coming - God I hate old lady lack of memory!!

I remember a girl, perhaps a little older then me and walking with her pushing her baby brother Michael around the block in the pram - thought it was great as I was never allowed to push my baby brother!

Hi Dorothymwalk.

it sounds like my cousin Valerie pushing pram her younger brother is michael

and they live on Titterton st bang across from school buildings if you stud with your back to school and looked at houses they lived in last one first block,think it was 21, next to was it telephone exchange. I lived there up untill 3 years old . 1955 to57, can remember standing at bottom of entry and waving at Val in school. happy days. but may not be her but nice to have happy memories brought back.:)

No it was not her - this girl lived on the opposite side of Britnall Street and near the very end away from Britnall street, I cannot remember her name but do know it was not Valerie.

So if your Valarie lived next to the telephone exchange she might have know Alf and Edith Walker, their daughter Joan Walker, although she is a bit older then me and may have been married by that stage and living on chapel Lane.

On the other side of the telephone exchange would have been the Majors - Brian, Elaine and Marion not sure what order!

Thanks

Dorothy

I am amazed that there were so many of us that I cannot remember names.

I went to hatfield house from 64 to 69 my mates were dave newton fred hawnt bob moat danny wall dave wilkinson john greenfield paul fletcher sadly (deceased) ian gregory jimmy pledger steve newey and a few others I knew all of the rowleys and the biggins evryone knew me as noz