Why do people attend church?

My dad goes, yet he doesn't believe in God. He goes because he enjoys meeting people there and having a chat, and despite him not being a believer, he thinks its part of tradition and he likes to think he's helping it remain. He was even a 'sidesman' - is that what they're called, the blokes who officially help out - not sure? Yet my mum does believe and she does not go to church very often because in contrast, she finds the women there bitchy and unfriendly!

:hihi: :hihi: Nothing to do with the free early morning tipple then :hihi: :hihi:

Historically I think many people went to church because it was the 'done thing' and we didn't know any better. If you look at Church attendance over the last 50 or so years, it has dropped dramatically due to secularization. Sure there are examples of certain churches that have maintained or even increased their congregation, but on the whole its on a decline, which I personally feel is a shame really. I am an atheist and have no belief in a singular God, but I do feel that Christianity is a big part of English culture and I am happy for it to remain so. Equally, if someone chooses not to become involved then that is their choice. My two best mates are both Christians and I have to say that as well as loving them dearly, I trust them both emphatically as Christians.

I am well aware it is due to religious belief but I want to know why people with belief feel the need to attend these buildings as part of their religion and what do they gain from this experience.

To worship God, to learn more about the faith, to have fellowship and meet other believers. to share our faith and experiences with others. To encourage others who are seeking God. to pray for those in trouble or any kind of need.

When Jesus instituted the Lords Supper He said "Do this in rememberance of me" so we go to recieve him in the Holy Sacrament and in obedience to his command. To serve others according to their needs.

What do we gain? Well encouragement, friendships, being part of a family of believers. Help with our sacred and secular problems a growing closer to God and hopefully a greater love for others and a willingness to serve and help them. Churches also offer a safe place a place of quietness and peace.

• 4 years later...

I'm not surprised the churches are half-empty. The people who are good to themselves are punished. God punishes those who are good to their body. People who exercise too much get arthritis, runners get shin and calf injuries. God doesn't help those who help themselves. I can see why people don't believe in Him.

I'm not surprised the churches are half-empty. The people who are good to themselves are punished. God punishes those who are good to their body. People who exercise too much get arthritis, runners get shin and calf injuries. God doesn't help those who help themselves. I can see why people don't believe in Him.

Pulling a few oldies up tonight?

Old thread. Oh well...

Believe it or not, some people attend because they actually believe in a god and some fellow named Jesus; he's supposedly half god & half man - just like other Greek demi-gods - although some Christians claim he's 100% god & 100% man. Those who really believe, and those who really think most of it is BS, also probably attend because they enjoy singing, ritual, gossip - and the company and friendship of like-minded people; many of whom may attend because they are insecure, fearful and paranoid about what they can't control: the actions of others they view as harmful; natural disasters; suffering & death. Some, especially if they hold important positions in the church, may simply enjoy the pomposity of it all: the fancy dress & the feelings of self-importance, power, and control over others.

Guess there are lots of other reasons, too. :)

Archived