Why do people attend church?

I remember a sermon from when I was school about why we should attend church. It was a story - the essence of which was:

Take a lump of hot coal from a fire and put it by itself and it will soon burn out. Put it back in and it burns again. It gets its strength from being near other lumps of coal.

N.B. This does not necessarily the views or beliefs of 'NickyCheese' :)

I am well aware it is due to religious belief but I want to know why people with belief feel the need to attend these buildings as part of their religion and what do they gain from this experience.

Suggest you have a talk with the local vicar. He might be able to give you a plausible answer

Most churchgoers I know go to mix socially as well as worship, a sense of community and belonging if you like. One church lays tables with cookies and a coffee urn before the Sunday morning service while the young kids romp around in the playpark attached to the building. They also go on camping trips and day trips by bus together

Nowadays the most often cited reason is that Christianity is about being a part of a community with a shared faith and a shared mission. It is difficult to be a real part of that community without participating in communal events, and for most groups the primary communal event is shared worship on a Sunday.

Sounds about right to me. Good answer.

To worship God, to break bread, to have the scriptures expounded, to have fellowship with other Christians and to open up your heart to Jesus who said, "For where two or three are gathered together in My name, there I am in their midst." As the last poster said it can be dynamic. :)

Despite what most people think the word Church does not mean the building.

It means a gathering of people who have come together to worship. This could be people worshiping in own home.

Its always vital to understand the origins of things.

Despite what most people think the word Church does not mean the building.

It means a gathering of people who have come together to worship. This could be people worshiping in own home.

Its always vital to understand the origins of things.

i hear you. like rastas say, the church is in you. wherever you are is the church. you don't need brick and mortar.

to answer why people go to church; i think, for the most part it's for the sense of belonging. there are many who don't really believe in the maker but go there because they feel part of a group. certainly true for many of the elderly, immigrants, the disenfranchised etc. the pub also serves the same purpose.

Archived