Good pubs in The Peak District.

slimsid2000

The Quiet Woman at Earl Sterndale, near Buxton. This place was used for some of the shots for Peak Practice and the landlord Ken has folk nights on a Saturday, the only food you can get is pork pie (with mustard), the finest Marstons Pedigree in the area.

The Quiet Woman at Earl Sterndale, near Buxton. This place was used for some of the shots for Peak Practice and the landlord Ken has folk nights on a Saturday, the only food you can get is pork pie (with mustard), the finest Marstons Pedigree in the area.

Gosh yes.

Did this boozer around 1990/1 when I used to keep The Good Beer Guide in my car. We'd venture out to such little delights as The Quiet Woman. I used to drive and drink half pints, managing to visit 4, 5 and sometimes 6 pubs in one journey. (I wouldn't do that now of course; no, it would be pints!!)

But seriously, we found some great pubs, some were a little 'worn' (Matlock springs to mind) but usually they always served magnificent ale. nickmunich, did you ever try Marston's Merry Monk? That was a quality, quaffing ale which was available in many a Marston outlet.

For the record, great Peak District pubs, based on ale and scenery would be:

The Stables Bar at Monsal Head (Old Peculiar on tap)

Packhorse - Longstone

Red Lion - Litton

Cheshire Cheese - Edale Road, nr. Hope

The (revamped) Bull's Head, Castleton

Old Horns - Bradfield (it used to serve great Magnet)

Ye Derwent Water - Carver

Devonshire Arms - Beeley

I could go on....,

Scotmans Pack - Hathersage

The Scotsman's Pack is my favourite and I have travelled around the Peak all my life.

I remember that the landlord kept a pet fox at one time but sadly, it got run over in the 70s. The fox is still there however, but it is stuffed and serves as a decoration.

I wrote a couple of articles about the pub some little while ago. Anyone interested, please let me know.

Would like to 2nd, or 3rd or 4th the Strines. Was taken there the other day for the first time, most amazing piece of steak I have ever had, and thats coming form someone who doesn't really like red meet (DOn't ask, I havea strange craving). OH even finished my medium rare one off, when he can't face anything under cremated!!

For the record, great Peak District pubs, based on ale and scenery would be:

The Stables Bar at Monsal Head (Old Peculiar on tap)

Packhorse - Longstone

Red Lion - Litton

Cheshire Cheese - Edale Road, nr. Hope

The (revamped) Bull's Head, Castleton

Old Horns - Bradfield (it used to serve great Magnet)

Ye Derwent Water - Carver

Devonshire Arms - Beeley

I could go on....,

Packhorse...is that Little Longstone, if so great place and i'd agree with all the rest.

Packhorse...is the Little Longstone, if so great place and i'd agree with all the rest.

Yes, it is Little Longstone (I was having another blank memory Wednesday).

Also used to serve a decent pint of Marston's Pedigree. I like the little water barrel out front with fish in it.

Eh, ain't pubs great?

The Peacock is nice, and does nice food, last time we went we had to wait nearly an hour to sit down , but we had a lovely lady who saved us a table.

We always go to the Old Horns Inn (in Bradfield I think), very quiet and a lovely view sat outside in the summer.

The one on the corner Millstone or something similar has a wonderful view over the Peak District, sitting in the carpark watching the sunset is really relaxing.

Yes, i have heard some really good reports about the Peacock in Bakewell!

It's probably the pub most used by locals, great quiz on wednesday nights with free sandwiches. Beer is well kept and it has a nice area for sitting out and watching the world go by. I will be in there later ;)

• 1 year later...

Archived