Good pubs in The Peak District.

slimsid2000

The Bull's Head at Eyam must have been closed for ten years now.

Aye, only the Miners and the club open there now isnt there?

It's all gone downhill in the valley since my day.

The trouble the valley was having was that landlords were trying too hard to accommodate the townies, often mistreating the locals. But as David Baldwin said when he ran the Anglers in Bamford: "You look after your locals, and your locals look after you"

The Bull's Head at Eyam must have been closed for ten years now.

Yes closed about then - now "luxury" flats. At the time i was told by an acquaintance in the village that it was deliberately being run badly so that they could successfully appeal to the planners for a change of use.

A scandal that a village the size of Eyam only has one pub now (there were four only 12 years ago) and the Miners which remains is a quasi restaurant.

A few other places I would recommend;

- The Cheshire Cheese at Hope - now run by Craig formerly of the Peacock in Bakewell and a thoroughly good chap.

- Red Lion at Litton

- Flying Childers at Stanton in the Peak

- Bulls Head at Monyash

I've been to The Bridge Inn at Calver a few times, and distinctly remember liking the beer.

Beer garden looks onto the river which is nice, as long as the weather is decent and the midges are on holiday.

No where else comes to mind that others haven't already said.

Yes closed about then - now "luxury" flats. At the time i was told by an acquaintance in the village that it was deliberately being run badly so that they could successfully appeal to the planners for a change of use.

A scandal that a village the size of Eyam only has one pub now (there were four only 12 years ago) and the Miners which remains is a quasi restaurant.

A few other places I would recommend;

- The Cheshire Cheese at Hope - now run by Craig formerly of the Peacock in Bakewell and a thoroughly good chap.

- Red Lion at Litton

- Flying Childers at Stanton in the Peak

- Bulls Head at Monyash

Red Lion at Litton used to be very good is it still? Also Old Bulls' Head at Little Hucklow or Queen Anne at graet Hucklow what about them. Or Cheshire Cheese at Castleton?

Red Lion at Litton used to be very good is it still? Also Old Bulls' Head at Little Hucklow or Queen Anne at graet Hucklow what about them. Or Cheshire Cheese at Castleton?

Some concerns when the Red Litton was bought a couple of years ago but fortunately it has been left well alone. Lovely place to while away a Sunday afternoon with the folk session going in the back room.

Don't know either of Hucklow pubs and rarely in Castleton.

I think the Cheshire Cheese at Castleton is horrible. The Cheshire Cheese at Hope however, is a great pub.

I think the Cheshire Cheese at Castleton is horrible. The Cheshire Cheese at Hope however, is a great pub.

Well i can confer that the Cheshire Cheese at Hope is a well managed country pub with decent and excellent food.

Archived