Good pubs in The Peak District.

slimsid2000

What's 'a quasi restaurant' ?:huh:

Looks like a pub but the business is essentially a restaurant - my test is if you sit at a table and make it clear you have no plans to eat. If you get a negative reaction, which I have had the Miners even when the place wasn't full then in my opinion the place is no longer a proper pub.

the reference to The Peacock in Bakewell - is that the Peacock at Rowsley, near Bakewell? I can't think of one called the Peacock in Bakewell itself.

The "Bull's Head" at Eyam - I remember it well. But maybe the person on here was referring to the Bulls Head at Foolow, near Eyam? That's still going as far as I know. It used to be called the Lazy Landlord for a spell.

the reference to The Peacock in Bakewell - is that the Peacock at Rowsley, near Bakewell? I can't think of one called the Peacock in Bakewell itself.

The Peacock in Bakewell is on the market square, next door to the Queens. It's the pub with the large outdoor seating area. Only pub in the town that does Peak Ales from the Chatsworth Estate. Nothing nicer than sitting outside of an evening with a pint of Peak's Swift Nick.

Sadly not been too many of those this summer.

BTW the Peacock in Rowsley is a rather grand country house hotel, owned by the Haddon Estate that does a fine line in expensive shooting/fishing breaks. Nice but not a place a frequent more than once a year.

• 4 years later...

Called in the Bridge at Calver last Sunday. It is under new management and the food is excellent. Sunday roast aside from the normal menu. The hot roast sandwich garnished with salad and coleslaw is good value at £4 ... worth a visit!

Archived