Am I right this is a scam?

This is a reply via free classifieds for an item I put up for sale:-

Hello ,

Thanks for your mail i located in ireland,i will offer you £425 for the item, so that i could arrange payment,also i will want to infom you that the payment with be made with a cheque so get back to me with all details to be written on the cheque such as :

name to write on cheque

the address to send the cheque to

your contact phone number

thanks for the mail , i really appreciate it,that is why i compesate you so that you could delete the advert from the market window and consider it sold to me.

NOTE : there will be an excess funds that will be included on the cheque for the shippment of the item for me in your location the excess funds will be send to the shippers as soon as the cheque clear's your bank after that they we come for pick up,you will be the one to direct the shippers on how to locate your respectable apartment for the pick up. i will be looking forward to read from you concerning this

God Bless You

Thanks

£425 is £100 above the asking price(which did not include postage)

His original e-mail said he was located in Essex.

So is it a scam ?

Cheers

I have just received another one:-

Hello, I will like to buy your {Olympus E-500 Digital slr ) for £325.00. 00 and £25 for shipping}for my boyfriend son in africa,kindly advise back the availablity,so that i can make Payment via UK postal order Regards

My apologies to Admag it was free classifieds,although they did mark this one as a scam.

Thanks every one I thought it was,but exactly how does it work?

The cheque they send you will be a dud.

It relies on you being able to get a cleared payment back to them before your bank tells you the payment you've received is dud.

Typically, cheque pays in. You send a cheque back, or use Western union, paypal, whatever to send the change. This payment clears your account. You bank then, after a week or so, tells you that the cheque you received has failed to clear.

Result - you're 100 or whatever down on the deal, AND you no longer have a camera. :)

Archived