Josephines nightclub

teddie

I worked at Josie's for 18mths in the late 80's, it used to be one of the poshest clubs in Sheff, and had a strict dress code and admittance. I say 'posh', but there were the tacky plastic wannabe's, gangsters and old tarts associated with the club's cheap wine bar status and materialism.

The barmaids were great fun and hardworking, but made to dress like whores (one or two were!) in fishnets and basques for the amusement of fat and desperate 'businessmen' who leered by the bar doors lecherously and pretenciously, showing-off with magnums of champers, hoping to get their numbers.

I remember the female stripper/live sex on-stage shows, thinly-disguised as 'gents' nights, in which staff only and male 'guests' were admitted earlier in the evening mid-week. Similarly, hen nights would be admitted for on-stage activites on other evenings, but without the full sex, but they were randy enough afterwards to conduct affairs and grab virtually any bloke going!

Monday's were blues evenings, but usually crammed in pimps, thugs and 'ladies of the night', or maybe they were just very rough and 'common'?

The cops usually made Wednesday's their evenings- tall, serious and suspicious- they rarely danced and always stood by the 'small' bar to the right as you walked in. Fun guys!

Those sticky carpets, and the third-rate "celebs" (footie 'players' and snooker stars) who arrogantly swaggered through the dangerously full weekend club that the H&S people were probably bought off not to report?

So, no, it wasn't posh at all, really.

Edited by Huscarl

I worked at Josie's for 18mths in the late 80's, it used to be one of the poshest clubs in Sheff, and had a strict dress code and admittance. I say 'posh', but there were the tacky plastic wannabe's, gangsters and old tarts associated with the club's cheap wine bar status and materialism.

The barmaids were great fun and hardworking, but made to dress like whores (one or two were!) in fishnets and basques for the amusement of fat and desperate 'businessmen' who leered by the bar doors lecherously and pretenciously, showing-off with magnums of champers, hoping to get their numbers.

I remember the female stripper/live sex on-stage shows, thinly-disguised as 'gents' nights, in which staff only and male 'guests' were admitted earlier in the evening mid-week. Similarly, hen nights would be admitted for on-stage activites on other evenings, but without the full sex, but they were randy enough afterwards to conduct affairs and grab virtually any bloke going!

Monday's were blues evenings, but usually crammed in pimps, thugs and 'ladies of the night', or maybe they were just very rough and 'common'?

The cops usually made Wednesday's their evenings- tall, serious and suspicious- they rarely danced and always stood by the 'small' bar to the right as you walked in. Fun guys!

Those sticky carpets, and the third-rate "celebs" (footie 'players' and snooker stars) who arrogantly swaggered through the dangerously full weekend club that the H&S people were probably bought off not to report?

So, no, it wasn't posh at all, really.

Trisha was the dancer she married Cockney Richard,

In the late 70s it was renowned for off duty coppers going as thier hang out.

Most of them were actually on duty getting paid for nothing.

It was the dark days of the Sheffield Police force.

Some of the regular coppers in Josies were Terry Price, Brian Wilson, Farnsworth,and Storer, the latter got locked up for being bent in the metals case, another one called "King" got time for dealing drugs with Tony Bashforth.

All a lot of sheffield coppers thought they had to do was verbal suspects up and then flit around Sheffield night clubs and pubs larging it up.

Ronald Sagar of Humberside police was brought in and they soon had to clean their act up.

• 2 weeks later...

Josie's was a tacky wannabe hangout masquerading as a 'classy' joint. It wasn't. Full of plastic-gangsters and old slappers mostly?

And why "Josephine's" name? She was Napoleon Bonaparte's first wife, whom he divorced after a childless marriage?