Butterfly Chinese Takeaway - Staniforth road in the 70,s

detrius

Hi

Does any body else remember the Butterfly chinese takeaway on Staniforth Road just next to the canal.

In the mid 70,s it was a treat.We would be at the "Rads" club with Mum and Dad on a sunday night,and after about 10pm when they were bored of us and we were bored of being there.We could either have ANOTHER pop and chrisps or go home on our own and stop at the chinese.My brother would have chips and curry and i would have chips and fishcake (their version of a sheffield fish cake but massive with a little slab of fish in ht emiddle ..YUMMMM).and we would share.

Then we would go home and watch the late night dracula or frankenstein film on BBC2.

There weren't half some characters in there. Remember always seeing a big old bloke with tattoos on his arms in a flowery dress.We would stare as you do.and he would say "alreight lads" in the deepest voice imaginable.we would slide along the condensation coverd walls untill it was our turn to be served..

Anybody else remember the orange coloured cury sauce .The best in sheffield HHHmmm - want some

Its now called the Silver Pan or was in the 90,s:)

Andy m

http://youtube.com/70sheffieldlad

Hi Andy

Silver Pan is still going strong, you'll be pleased to know. I seem to remember it was called the Great Wall Of China after it was the Butterfly.

The Rads still stands, just. There's a tree growing inside it now. Something tells me it won't be reopening. I'm told it closed down in about 1988 after some undercover coppers witnessed some rather unsavoury acts going on involving strippers and some slilghtly over enthusiastic audience members.

That row of houses at the bottom of Roundel Street is still there as well, although not in any state to be lived in.

Hi Akadok

Thanks for the reply mate.shame it never reopened.lot of memories there.would love to take a look inside one day and take pictures that would be fun.is the chinese still nice ??? wonder if they still do a fishcake

cheers

Andy m

• 3 weeks later...
Hi

Does any body else remember the Butterfly chinese takeaway on Staniforth Road just next to the canal.

In the mid 70,s it was a treat.We would be at the "Rads" club with Mum and Dad on a sunday night,and after about 10pm when they were bored of us and we were bored of being there.We could either have ANOTHER pop and chrisps or go home on our own and stop at the chinese.My brother would have chips and curry and i would have chips and fishcake (their version of a sheffield fish cake but massive with a little slab of fish in ht emiddle ..YUMMMM).and we would share.

Anybody else remember the orange coloured cury sauce .The best in sheffield HHHmmm - want some

quote---

You mean the Butterfly on staniforth road what what closed down by health for Alsations, cats, and rats what were found hung in their freezer.

You ask us do we want any, not on your nelly

bluebird62

ARRRRGGHHH

just washing mi mouth with soap,used to love it there as kids.Cheers for the update Bluebird.Not be going there then EEEKK:gag: :gag: :gag: :gag: :gag: :gag: :gag: :gag: :gag: :

Andy M

Archived