Colonoscopy - anyone had one?

Oh I haven't eaten since about 7/8 last night. I'm only drinking the prep but having trouble drinking it lol. I don't usually drink this much in a day let alone per hour

I have really been struggling with taking my prep. It tastes foul even with orange juice added to it and is really bloating me up and making me nauseous. I also have problems swallowing at the best of times, so having to drink this much liquid is quite difficult.

I had a colonoscopy a few years back as i was diagnosed with chrones disease it wasnt a very plesent experience the worse bit i thought was drinking klean prep it was sooooooo vile and made me sick everytime i drank it. I was sedated for mine so i didnt get to see the tv screen thank god lol xxxx

• 1 year later...

Im having one tuesday, not looking forward to the stuff to drink however im got some apple and blackcurrant water to hopefully try and mask some of the flavour. Ill be glad when its over, but i want to find ut whats wrong and get me better asap.:)

Unfortunately there's nothing that they can do to make it a pleasant procedure, but if you go into it with it being a positive step towards finding out what's wrong then that will make it easier.

I have to say that although I found the Klean Prep unpleasant, the procedure itself was no great shakes and I chose not to have sedatives so I remember it in the minutest details.

My advice would be to work hard on relaxing when they tell you to relax, as the camera is nothing like as wide as the faeces that pass through your sphincters every day, so the only way that having the camera inserted will hurt is if you're clenching your muscles.

Having the gas inserted to allow the doctors to see properly is uncomfortable (but not really painful) and the whole procedure is a bit undignified, but that's it really.

Your bowel has no surface nerve endings so it's a bit freaky to watch someone taking a biopsy or removing a polyp and for it not to hurt, but genuinely, it doesn't.

I hope that your problems are diagnosed and treated and you're out of pain soon :)

Thanks medusa, ill be glad when its done and (hopefully) i can start the recovery process very quickly and get better!:)

Should i still take the klean prep if they are checking for colitis? with going to the toilet already im scared of passing out.

You still need to take the klean prep, that way they can easily see the surface to diagnose problems.

Just to add, gas and air is available to help with any pains you may get and as medusa says it doesn't generally hurt.

All the best and hope you have no discomfort.

You still need to take the klean prep, that way they can easily see the surface to diagnose problems.

Just to add, gas and air is available to help with any pains you may get and as medusa says it doesn't generally hurt.

All the best and hope you have no discomfort.

Oh right thanks just wondered as i read it somewhere. I just want a clear prognosis when i go tuesday and hope a conclusion is made.

I really hope i can be treated and get back to life as i feel really down at the moment.:(

Oh right thanks just wondered as i read it somewhere. I just want a clear prognosis when i go tuesday and hope a conclusion is made.

I really hope i can be treated and get back to life as i feel really down at the moment.:(

Don't get your hopes up that you will find an answer straight away on tuesday. I had a gastroscopy (camera down) just under a fortnight since and still waiting for biopsy results and an appointment to see my consultant back in clinic. Im really fed up at the moment, fed up of pain and having to dash to loo several times a day. :(

Don't get your hopes up that you will find an answer straight away on tuesday. I had a gastroscopy (camera down) just under a fortnight since and still waiting for biopsy results and an appointment to see my consultant back in clinic. Im really fed up at the moment, fed up of pain and having to dash to loo several times a day. :(

Im not the only one suffering then. I really hope they do get an answer straight away so i can start treament. I wish you well in your recovery too, its horrible having to dash to loo and having to deal with the trauma of it all, i know what your going through!:(

lol- i wouldn't suggest going to the shop :D :D

I diluted it with robinsons- made it taste a little better- and i just downed the entire pint in one.

I know this thread is years old, but thought I would mention that I had a colonoscopy last week, and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

As others have said, the Klean-Prep laxatives are the worst part of it, but I soon learned to mix it with lemonade instead of water - it was a lot better, and almost palatable.

Archived