Sheffield 1/2 Marathon 2007 - too late?

Hi i am thinking about competing in the Sheffield 1/2 marathon in a few weeks time, i am currently relatively fit, play footy, cricket etc. Does anyone have a specific training plan to build up, i am thinking of running 3 times a week building up in distance each time, e.g. 30 mins, 45 mins, 1 hr etc. Does anyone else think it is too late for me to train or know of any better running plans to stick to?:hihi::loopy::rolleyes:

Hi i am thinking about competing in the Sheffield 1/2 marathon in a few weeks time, i am currently relatively fit, play footy, cricket etc. Does anyone have a specific training plan to build up, i am thinking of running 3 times a week building up in distance each time, e.g. 30 mins, 45 mins, 1 hr etc. Does anyone else think it is too late for me to train or know of any better running plans to stick to?:hihi::loopy::rolleyes:

I think the only way you will make it around the course at this stage is to buy a horse or a large dog and ride it :hihi:

13miles isnt that bad..

you may struggle but if you have a high level of fitness try the following plan.. your not going to get upto a real good running standard in two weeks, but try the following..if you cant do this with ease dont race!

and make sure you carb up like never before on the week of the race, it all helps!

W/c 30th April - 3 Runs, 5 Miles, 7Miles, 9Miles

W/C 7th May - 8 Miles, 10 Miles.

W/C 12th May - REST REST AND REST with a gentle 2Mile run on the friday..

if your not a runner as such id go for a pace of around 9minute miles, if not a little slower at 9.30 and maybe step up towards the last 4 miles if you think you can step up!

your not going to get "into shape" for the race now..BUT, you gotta test your legs and chest to see if you can handle the distance

Think i am going to give it a go, test my legs, i am relatively fit, but just need to get the miles in my legs and chest!! If all else fails, i live in town, so could stop off for a quick pit stop half way through lol:roll:

Any other comments would be useful :help:

I ran the half-marathon two years ago under similair conditions to yourself. I applied quite late and only started training seriously about a month before the actual race. I was 29 at the time and, like you, considered myself to be realtively fit through playing footie etc. The race itself was hard work, but I really enjoyed it and managed a half-respectable time of 1h 38m. I say go for it mate. It'll be worth it.

I'm back in the saddle for this years race. Hoping to run a sub 90 minute race. Let us know how the training/race goes.

Good luck!

Try to get upto 11 miles a couple of weeks before and don't set off too quick.

If you've never raced before it's too easy to get swept along with the crowds.

I'm sure you'll love and the crowds along Ecclesall Rd are fantastic.Just remember that when you get back to Don Valley they make you run around the stadium before you finish.

Thanks for your responses, good luck Jonnymango - if u run it twice u may see me lol, am hoping for a time around 2hours 2hrs 30mins, but until i build up to running 10/12 miles i will not know my ideal "race" pace :cool:

Howeyz - currently i am trying to build up each time i run, hopefully will be up to 11 miles in 2 weeks. Thanks for the info on Don Valley and Eccleshall Rd - very useful. I'll keep training, again anymore info on training/ or if anyone wants to run with me and lives around the city centre, that would be great :gag:

Good luck Howeyz - sounds like u have been doing some serious training! I ran around Rother valley (both lakes) last night twice - think it is roughly 3 miles per lap. Completed in 54 mins, roughly 9 minute miles, legs are a bit stiff/fatigued, but i felt good. Going to step up to 3 laps by middle of next week. Bring it on :loopy:

Archived