Leadmill - Has it gone downhill?

foreverdelayed

I used to be a regular on Thursday nights the 60's and 70's night, would spend the majority of the time on the dance floor which probably explains my then slim figure.

What a shame if that's all changed, it was incredibly popular and had no dress code to worry about and the ages ranged from 18 or so up to an old guy who must of been in his sixties, crepe shoes and bootlace tie, watching him gyrate with a younger woman put us youngsters to shame. .

and in you are in your twenties and having the time of your life. I've never known The Leadmill more poppular than it currently is.

The reason that these nights were changed is that the customer base got older stopped coming going due to 'settling down' etc Things have to move on

and nothing stands still in the clubbing world.

Ahh to be 18 and cute again.......................

Originally posted by Vanbast

Does anybody remember The Steamer from the mid to late eighties? A strange fusion of Hip Hop and House music on a Wednesday that worked surprisingly well.

The Steamer was one of Sheffield's best ever club nights IMO - as well as local lads Parrot and Winston, the other resident was Graeme Park, possibly even before he was helping to make history at the Hacienda.

It was a variant on the Jive Turkey formula in the scuzzier environs of the Leadmill as opposed to the dressy grandeur of the City Hall Ballroom.

Hip hop and house often seemed to be played alongside each other in the mid-eighties - 'Hip Hop, House and Rare Groove' was seen on many a flyer in 1987. It's a shame this open-minded trend died a bit of a death.

I have an issue of The Face from 1988 in which The Steamer is listed amongst the top 50 club nights in the world.

And of course, if we're talking about The Steamer, we must have a few of these: :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

(That's about 150 quid's worth at mid-eighties prices!!)

I'm 22 and have this summer had some of the best nights out at the Leadmill. I think how drunk I've been might have had something to do with it, and I'm certainly getting to an age where I reminisce, but Darren's right, things change. As for the indie scene of the late 90s, well, its still sort of there, its just jammed into the smaller room on a Monday night. The only way to have any breathing room in there is to be so steamingly intoxicated that no one wants to go near you, an art, I must modestly admit, I have mastered.

Until last August I hadn't visited the Leadmill for six years, all of you moaning gets need to learn to appreciate what is on your doorstep. The Leadmill may have dubbed down slightly but there is still nothing in the South of England to compare to it. Plus if you are ****** who gives a sh*t.

My grandmother always taught me if you can't say something nice then don't say anything at all.

the leadmill rocks!!!!!

I've been going for 10 years and think that although it's not as good as it was (keep thinking it was because I was getting older!) it's still great and yet to have a bad night there! (would like cheesy nights bringing back though!!!)

Got to agree - for all its faults - the Leadmill is still a good night out, barely ever any trouble - drinks are a good price, and although I've seen it change over the past 8 years, at its heart it is still the same as its always been. - a decent cheap night out in sheffield!

• 2 weeks later...

About the lovely doorstaff/bouncers...

The Leadmill is the best place in sheffield. Well its a dive but that the whole point, and I've got my indie fix there for years.

So why did a bouncer tell us off 3 times for putting our feet on the plastic stools in the little bar? They aren't clean anyway and were covered in beer. If they're worried about cleanliness then sort the bloody toilets out.

The 3rd time he threatened to throw us out, which made me just want to do it more.

Archived