Old (bus) Inspectors in Sheffield

I remember Bill Fiddler and Ernest Applewhite at Townhead St. They both went to Leadmill Rd when it closed. They both lived up the Crookes/Crookes School Road area. I think Bill lived near St Thomas Church.

Edited by crookes

Charlie Deemer was my instructor when i passed my p.s.v. in 1957(BB39702) i was 21.Myself and another trainee,went out with charlie and another man one day to Outerbridge.They wanted to see how hard it would be to turn right into orchard from the main drag,then right at the next corner,in order to make a short turn terminus for rush hours.Charlie asked the kid who was driving how it was ,to which he replied "its a bit f-----g tight",Charlies face went blood red.Turned out ,the other man was R.C.MOORE,head honcho.Another time the instructor(jones? i think) lived on Bramall lane,took us three rookies to his house for lunch,some of you will recall him i'm sure.One episode i recall with Charlie happend on lady's bridge waiting to turn right,towards Bridge st. a bloke in a car behind us was blowing his horn like crazy for us to get moving.Charlie told the kid who was driving to "put the hand brake on,take it out of gear" i just want to have a word with horatio hornblower behind.He stepped off the rear and went to the car, the three of us rushed to see the fireworks, as Charlie was saying calmly to the cowering driver"if you think you could teach my trainee to drive, i could sit there and blow that horn for you.then he walked back to the bus,leaving the guy sitting there wondering what just happend.priceless!!clydesdale.

I used to work in the Arundel gate offices and knew and remember all the Inspectors, there were some real gents. i used to finish work at 5pm and my bus used to leave from Bridge Street at 5.02pm, the radio control inspectors used to radio down and tell the drivers to wait for me, ahh those were the days. I then moved to Herries road garage and years later Rotherham, Halfway and Olive Grove, but it was never the same as way back before as in the old days.

Gordon that was the one who I could not recall at Townhead Street Cliff Kirk

the one I remember best was Bob Tanner if he was waiting for you you knew you had some explaning to do.

I worked at greenland road then went to townhead street and when townhead closed went to leadmill road