Old (bus) Inspectors in Sheffield

the one I remember best was Bob Tanner if he was waiting for you you knew you had some explaning to do.

I worked at greenland road then went to townhead street and when townhead closed went to leadmill road

I was very "friendly" with Johnny Hobbis as he seemed to like to see me quite regular :) and Jimmy Egan at the top of Angel Street once told me and another driver off for swapping over somewhere around Hillsboro corner when we were sueting I had conducted from town and my mate had driven so we swapped and then I shouted for him to tell me how to stop it and someone reported us and Jimmy knew it was us as he had collared us to do the suet and told us not to do it again. :roll:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Some more names to conjour with;

Bernard Earnshaw Frank Wright (Greenland Depot)

Tristram Tottenham Mick Newton Mr.Evans (Dave's Dad) Dave was a driver,conductor and one manner from Greenland! These 3 were road Insps.

Pete Smith who was a conductor fro EB rd. when I met him when we did a RSA Diploma Course in Road Transport, 1970/71. He went on to become an Insp.

There was a short,rotund Regulator around Bridge St. no name but we at Greenland called him "Fishboots" cos of his footware!

Conductor school had Mr.Kershaw, Mr.Ward and Pete Voyce (his cousin,Norman,was union rep!!!)

Some more names to conjour with;

Bernard Earnshaw Frank Wright (Greenland Depot)

Tristram Tottenham Mick Newton Mr.Evans (Dave's Dad) Dave was a driver,conductor and one manner from Greenland! These 3 were road Insps.

Pete Smith who was a conductor fro EB rd. when I met him when we did a RSA Diploma Course in Road Transport, 1970/71. He went on to become an Insp.

There was a short,rotund Regulator around Bridge St. no name but we at Greenland called him "Fishboots" cos of his footware!

Conductor school had Mr.Kershaw, Mr.Ward and Pete Voyce (his cousin,Norman,was union rep!!!)

My grandad was a regulator out of Castle Gate, he retired in 1961-62, probably too long ago for anyone to remember him . His name was Frank Brightmore.

That Norman Voyce mentioned by '11 Plus' was the cause of a walkout when he went on a trip to London with councillors at the time he was supposed to be negotiating the climax to a deliberately drawn-out wage deal in his capacity as chief union representative. When news got out, crews just abandoned their buses all over the city centre and gathered in the Castlegate canteen. Voyce soon after gave up the union job and became an inspector; a man of great principle !!

i worked with your dad for 27 years what a guy i also knew your mother when they lived on foxhill road then at high green in fact i lived on the next street to them at high green and then when they went to live at grenoside a true gent

i worked with your dad for 27 years what a guy i also knew your mother when they lived on foxhill road then at high green in fact i lived on the next street to them at high green and then when they went to live at grenoside a true gent
. Good to hear dad is remember. Dad Bill died. @ age 77 mum died last August in care with dementia.

Hi fiddlerstick, I knew your dad very well, he was assistant chief when I was made inspector, the assistant chiefs were eventually quadrupled, your dad, bob Tanner, Derek Gutteridge and Viv Chambers. We had many a laugh in Castle Square office, he was one of the nicest blokes I knew. best regards mate, Malc Smith

Hi fiddlerstick, I knew your dad very well, he was assistant chief when I was made inspector, the assistant chiefs were eventually quadrupled, your dad, bob Tanner, Derek Gutteridge and Viv Chambers. We had many a laugh in Castle Square office, he was one of the nicest blokes I knew. best regards mate, Malc Smith

Thank you for your reply it brings my dads memory alive.I used to visit him at the office at the hole in the road.Wish he were here so I could show him these messages.Thankyou.