Old (bus) Inspectors in Sheffield

First group have not put the vintage bus on at all it is the South Yorkshire Preservation Group that are doing it. First group had nothing to do with it.

---------- Post added 18-06-2013 at 09:03 ----------

First Group washed it's hands of South Yorkshire Preservation Group SYPG some years ago, kicked us out of Olive Grove left us to fend for ourselves. Our buses now are in the museum in Rotherham.

I attended Terry's funeral today and it was highly moving. It was great to see such a turn out, 250 attended in all including Graham Bradshaw all the way from Mablethorpe, the arrival of the vintage Leyland bringing staff from Olive Grove put the finishing touch to a moving and emotional day. Rest in peace old friend, you had a leaving do that was unrivalled.

I was unable to attend Terry's funeral today as I had to take my wife to the hospital for her first X-ray since she broke her hip, but it is nice to hear that Terry was remembered for the gentleman he was and so many people paying their respects. RIP Terry.

ex driver 3047

Edited by phantom309
added

I was at the funeral of Terry Conley yesterday, although it was a sad occasion it was nice to meet up with former work mates on the transport and recall old times, Bradders from Mablethorpe, Smiffy from Scarborough to name but two, we all get a little greyer, a litle more portly, harder to hear than late, truely an occasion to remember

Not quite an inspector but Dad has just informed me that George Haddon, who was a mainstay at Greenland Road during the 70s, 80s and 90s has passed away through cancer at 70.

The funeral is at City Road cemetery on Friday.

• 9 months later...

Dad remembers getting one of those tubocharged Volvos and watching Mick 'Pigeon' Pelligrini (A very good footballer apparently) on the 69 route getting pulled over for doing 60 on Attercliffe Common!

Apparently no other bus would do anything over 40mph.:)

btw Dad (Stephen Bell, a shop steward throughout the 80's and 90's at Greenland Road) has had a pretty rough few years and certainly isn't in the best of health right now and would welcome any stories from that period.

...big celebration coming up soon at First's Depot at Midland Road , Rotherham ...

SAT 12 MAY

Celebrating 40th Anniversary of South Yorkshire PTE ! :o

Lots of unseen preserved local vehicles will be attending to stir the memories and many other surprises on the day !!:thumbsup:

hi neil b sorry to hear about your dad stevie we used to go fishing together to walt bowers place on the Trent near Newark tell him its a housing estate and nature reserve now tell him its Ian Lee havnt been on the site a long time bit of a shock to find out about George Haddon has died him and Mick Hippkiss were always talking about fishing anyway thanks for the message