Martial arts one to one

Hi,

In relation to the last post, and the explanation of kickboxing systems, I know Mick Mullaney from Wicker Camp doesn't like his gym to be called, in any way, a camp that teaches kickboxing. Mick's a purist Muay Thai.

In consideration of street effectiveness, the first consideration has to be training style; if the training in the camp doesn't allow for the students to have some full contact training (properly supervised!) then it hasn't any street value, because in a real situation you will be getting punched, kicked and manhandled, and no amount of training that doesn't include this will prepare you for that.

Laura, find a club that suits you, train until you're confident enough in the style, and then join classes. My knowledge of the various gyms is limited, but I know the Wicker Camp is a very friendly place, the private lessons are good, and you will be treated as an individual and efforts made to fit your needs.

I'm sure there are other gyms that will fit this too - so it is a case of you experimenting a little.

Good luck,

Ade

I was wondering if it was possible to persue a martial art under a one to one basis, or one to two basis rather than joining a class? and would it mean a considerable larger expense?

I used to go to Paul Powers they were excellent and i believe they have a female instructor if it makes you feel more comfortable.

Archived