Irish Pubs in Sheffield

The only people from the 6 counties involved with the previous Heartland were committe members who highlighted the 'mismanagement.'

The person who was running the show is english but purports to be Irish (which is fine if she feels so).

They may be showing GAA matches as yes indeed the whole of the 32 counties of Ireland play Gaelic games!!

Anyway I was speaking to a woman last week who went down to the Heartland for the first time and she told me she had to stay in the womens toilets because a brawl had broken out last weekend which resulted in windows being put through.

I like a beer and a night out but its taking your life in your hands going down there.

The only people from the 6 counties involved with the previous Heartland were committe members who highlighted the 'mismanagement.'

The person who was running the show is english but purports to be Irish (which is fine if she feels so).

They may be showing GAA matches as yes indeed the whole of the 32 counties of Ireland play Gaelic games!!

Anyway I was speaking to a woman last week who went down to the Heartland for the first time and she told me she had to stay in the womens toilets because a brawl had broken out last weekend which resulted in windows being put through.

I like a beer and a night out but its taking your life in your hands going down there.

Sheesh. It was hardly the safest of places going to the old Irish Club in Burngreave, but at least the hassle was OUTSIDE the place ........ anyway, let's hope that any problems last week were just isolated.

It would be nice to watch the GAA ......

This was my impression, and that the pub would be far from an Irish pub, when it re-opened after it was shut as the Irish Heartland.

Of course, it should be remembered that teams from the Six Counties play GAA sports, so maybe the reported people who run the place now (inferred from another thread) MAY be showing GAA matches.

I cannot believe that anyone would be that heartless and cruel to defraud vulnerable older Irish people in sheffield of the Irish government money that should go towards providing them with a social center in which to meet like kind and ease their possible isolation and loneliness after contributingloads to the irish economy over the years by sending money back home .... why that would be like opening a rehab center for druggies and asking Gemma to run it !!!

• 2 weeks later...

the brawl that broke out was the licence holder (anti-irish) beating the hell out of an irish man, a vunerable one at that. he ended up in hospital with bad injuries and a broken rib!!! and was well known by his attacker, knowing full well that he could not defend himself, especially being attacked from behind.

I am from Sheffield (Irish Dad) and now living in Ireland.

I always prided myself on the great Irish community that Sheffield had. To see the way things have gone breaks my heart.

My Father was one of the founding members and Trustee up until it closing of the Irish Social Centre on Brunswick Road and I enjoyed many years there. Bands every sunday night a game of 25 on a Sunday and although I was dragged there at the time I also enjoyed the Tin Whistle lessons and the Irish Dancing. Now the dancing....this leads me to the current Licensee of the Heartlands! This lady from the day she brought her daughter to dancing had her nose in everything and tried to undermine the Committee at every turn. She was never even a paid up member herself and it made my blood boil to see that she was put in charge of what was eventually seen as the replacement to the Irish Centre! It is no surprise the way things have turned out...What a great shame!!!

Just to keep people updated that two community groups have been duped into having offices above the pub formerly known as the heartland.

They are 'hearing voices' and 'flippin mental' who do great work within Sheffield supporting some very vulnerable people.

It is such a shame that organisations and individuals continue being used by certain people masquerading as helping when all that ever happens is vulnerable people are mistreated, for anyone who disbelieves ask yourselves the question have those certain people ever had their 'projects' become sustained and built upon.

I believe information is already on its way to the aforementioned organisations to higlight to them the 'mismanagement ' which appears to be ongoing.

I for one would not want reputable groups tarnished by association.

Archived