Anyone from Gleadless?

What year was that Playman?

I can remember a family called Wood who lived above us in the maisonettes, they used to throw anything from nappies to televisions over the landing, we lived at the side of a family called Dunkley and in the next block I had a boyfriend for a couple of days called Keith Sykes, I think I fancied his brother(I Was only 11 at the time)

ah! jimmy woods, i spent a good many years playing with him and phil booker and who could forget roland and roy if my memory serves me right it was roland that lost his life on his tallisman twin ( motor bike ) on ridgeway road RIP mate , i can still remember that xmas that brought us all ,,,,,,,,,,THE JOHNNY SEVEN ASSULT RIFLE omg! our parents must have all been talking because come boxing day all these marines crawled through the grass and onto the quarry on gleadless road lol such memories !!

P.T

I remember paying my 3d for a cone and the icecream fell off the top, I went back to his van and he gave me another - what a star.

Markham.

I am also the same age as Mick, we went to school together for a time, either junior or senior school or perhaps both. I went to Bankwood Jnr and GVSM.

Did you know Stanley Lake?

stan sadly passed away as did a lot of the names youve come up with .trying to place you!!if you lived next door to the drabbles,which side? lotts henry on one side and mellards on the otherhudsons facing and boiler dawn to the side .

I am a member of the Jolly family and I think the daughter you are referring to was Christine, she lived there with my grandparents Stan & Ethel and their children; Brian, Alan & Dennis (my dad). I am currently researching my family tree and would love to discuss the Jolly's with you further to get some anecdotal evidence. Please get in touch.

Thanks

Amanda

is christine still well? tell her trevor jarman wishes her all the best !! we grew up with each other and shared the same birthday and was both born in the same ward , but she always claimed superiority as she was the eldest, being born 1st lol. i can still remember the pride that we all had when brian was picked to represent england in the mexico olympics cycling events .

I just came across this page by accident, it brings back so many memories I lived first on Overend Rd i think or drive then my dad died and we moved onto Plowright Close, i first went to Herdings School because rowlston had not been built yet, then i went to gleadless Valley SM school, My mom just died but lived in that house since i was 10, and im 57 now I have never been able to find anyone that went to school with me in the 1962 to 1966 it would be great if I could. I also new the whole Gooden family and funny but when my mom died Mrs Gooden was given my moms Home on Plowright Close, small world. I hope i hear from some on you it would be great. Josie

hi there , i was brought up on plowright way, and i watched them build all the houses on bankwood and spotswood . i went to rollestone infants and primary , then on to gvss mathews lane , happy days but i was a bit of a scruff and always getting caned , i was born in 1954 so i dont know if you was at school with me , but im trevor jarman and its always good to meet other ex valley kids, we might not have been rich but god did we have fun!!

hi there , i was brought up on plowright way, and i watched them build all the houses on bankwood and spotswood . i went to rollestone infants and primary , then on to gvss mathews lane , happy days but i was a bit of a scruff and always getting caned , i was born in 1954 so i dont know if you was at school with me , but im trevor jarman and its always good to meet other ex valley kids, we might not have been rich but god did we have fun!!

eh up trev hows your sharon,tha lived at side of boiler [mick dawn] hows tricks :thumbsup:

Gleadless Valley Community Forum produces a quarterly magazine which is delivered to all Gleadless Valley residents and other businesses, partners, etc in surrounding areas. If you would like to get involved in with the magazine and perhaps write a regular column in the magazine, then please do contact us on 0114 239 4466. Your stories and knowledge of the past may be of interest to the community of now. There may be other ways also to use your knowledge, may be with local groups.

I was born and bred on Ironside Road. born in 1959 and lived there until i was 18 years old. It was a brilliant place to grow up with all the open fields and woods to explore in. I remember camping out with my mates on the black path up towards Herdings and generally just being a nuisance. Sadly the place is a tip now and i travel through it quite often just for old times sake and have seen it progressively go down hill. I have many good memories of the place and the people who lived there. My first pint was at the age of 17 with my dad in the John O Gaunt which at the time was a proper estate pub where everyone knew everyone else, a bit like the Rovers Return :-)

I was born and bred on Ironside Road. born in 1959 and lived there until i was 18 years old. It was a brilliant place to grow up with all the open fields and woods to explore in. I remember camping out with my mates on the black path up towards Herdings and generally just being a nuisance. Sadly the place is a tip now and i travel through it quite often just for old times sake and have seen it progressively go down hill. I have many good memories of the place and the people who lived there. My first pint was at the age of 17 with my dad in the John O Gaunt which at the time was a proper estate pub where everyone knew everyone else, a bit like the Rovers Return :-)

People use to "dare" each other to walk up or down the Black Path at night! and in winter it was great for sledging and sliding.

I lived in the tower houses on Overend Way from 72 - 86. I was only 3 when we moved there, went to Hemsworth Infants and Juniors. Teachers I remember there are Headteacher Mr Jamieson, Miss Vickers (she terrified me!) Miss Longbottom, Miss Salt. Then I went to Gleadless Valley 80 - 85. I hated it, and was glad to see it razed to the ground! My form tutor was Miss Barnaby, and other teachers I remember are Miss Whitehead Pe, Miss Fairweather French, Mr Firth or Frith? Maths, Mr Wainwright English - he disappeared half way through the school year, Headteacher Mr Gaulton, who was replaced by Mrs Frankish (cow!) Mr Rolfe Re, Mr Lyons Physics.

After a bit of moving around Heeley, Arbourthorne and Intake, I am now back on Valley, and glad of it! I can see the water tower from my living room, and feel as though I have come home. I don't think it's as bad as portrayed and certainly no worse than other areas. :)

Miss Longbottom was my teacher! I have fond memories of that school. Miss Vickers never bothered me much but my sister was also scared of her. I remember Jam Jar Jamieson as well. He was great especially after the old disciplinarian who used to be headmaster. I lived on Overend way too, one of the houses.