Anyone from Gleadless?

We lived in a tower house at the back of masonettes at the side of wyvern pub. There were no houses at the side of us only fields. The patios ran to the right of us. The cleary family lived in the first patio, the stones in the middle and the dodds at the bottom.

It is just possible some of you Gleadless Valley ex pats can help me. Someone has contacted me about a house exchange: she lives on Landseer Drive, near Herdings Park.

If you lived in a house similar to this, could you give me an idea about the size and layout of the downstairs of these 3 bed houses.

Also, whats it like there now?

PS I briefly lived on Abney Drive with my in laws in 1978, my partner grew up there (Mark Mannion, the good looking one!) and remembers the Hinchcliffes mentioned earlier in this thread.

• 5 weeks later...
Originally posted by Plain Talker

oh, twinky,

Taggy's ice cream was just heaven!

whether in a cone, or a "sandwich" (i loved the chocolate, and the jam wafers that you could get for ice-cream sandwiches, it was sheer bliss.

Taggy's was the only ice cream my mother would eat.

I remember their depot was near anns road school, somewhere between gleadless road and richards road.

PT

"Taggy" was my mother's cousin. His real name was Jack Battle I understand the nickname "Taggy" came from his school days.

He and his sister Mabel lived together at 27 View Road with brother Ernest a few doors below. The dairy was in the back yard where the ice cream was made entirely from Jersey Milk.

They had a small shop on Gleadless Road which was run by Mabel and several vans which toured the area at weekends. In fact I believe they covered most of Sheffield.

A van or trailer was usually parked at the entrance to Graves and other Sheffield parks.