Anyone from Gleadless?

i lived on the valley from being a baby till about 2 years ago. moved to edge of gleadless but still only 10 minutes away. Lived near the wyvern pub.

my friend lived just 3 doors away and is now living on overend. the memories of back then, the gang we had searching for bonfire wood and guarding it before the bonfire. We used to have such a laugh. Bonfire night was a big thing then. all the kids round and the mum and dads. doesnt happen like that anymore, such a shame

it was a great place to grow up in. We had the best childhood there. we used to play hide and seek, kick can, rounders and best of all "boogey man won't be out tonight" round the wyvern pub. one person was "it" and hid round the pub yard and the rest started out from the den, which was the bit outside the best side of the pub, going round the pub trying to find "it", if someone else got tagged before getting back to den then they were "it". only played at night though. Was such a laugh

can anyone remember the holy cross church being built ? also the maisonnettes opposite the wyvern, we moved onto middle hay place in 1961 before the bottom half was built, the estate was a wonderful adventure playground what with all the woodlands and open spaces and all that grass for football.

The estate seemed such a vast place in the 60's and the hills did not seem half as steep when you are younger, we used to have our bonfire on the waste ground about half way up gleadless hill so there were always plenty of dead wood for collection, when we moved there the quarry was twice as big as it is now because they filled it in and levelled it off.

• 2 months later...
The estate seemed such a vast place in the 60's and the hills did not seem half as steep when you are younger, we used to have our bonfire on the waste ground about half way up gleadless hill so there were always plenty of dead wood for collection, when we moved there the quarry was twice as big as it is now because they filled it in and levelled it off.

That quarry was a kid's dream come true. :thumbsup:

We used to climb up the sheer walls - how high was it? - fall down them, 'swim' in the bottom when it was flooded ... and still survive for teatime.

I remember there was an old black Morris 10 car dumped on the top. Fully intact apart from the driver's seat and one front wheel missing. Try as we could, we never did manage to get it to go over the side.

• 2 weeks later...

We moved to Gleadless a month ago, just down the road from Townend. Only problem we've had so far was someone pinching my mountain bike from near the tram stop :mad: Was impressed with the police response though, they turned up in under 10 minutes and went round to knock on the door of a house where I've seen the thief.

Hi there, I remember Peter well. His mom and dad were close friends of my parents. We lived at the bottom of Gaunt Close, opposite the Police Sub Station. If I remember, they lived on the maisonettes opposite the layby on Gaunt Road. My recollection of his mum was that she was a tall lady with black hair and quite large spectacles.