Anyone from Gleadless?

Does anyone remember the Easons, Moyses, Watkinsons and HAwleys from the maisonettes next to the wyvern pub? and anyone also remember "Uncle Ray" and his lorry? We used to play in the back of his lorry when we were kids playing hide and seek. think he had some kind of conveyor belt in the back of it. like rollers. He knew we played in it but never said anything. :hihi: :hihi:

I remember the Watkinsons, Johnnie was one of my brothers best mates. I used to call him

Mr Quarange as he always wore a bright orange polo neck. I had heard that he had passed away but not 100% sure

i remember them also

• 2 weeks later...

I lived in the tower houses on Overend Way from 72 - 86. I was only 3 when we moved there, went to Hemsworth Infants and Juniors. Teachers I remember there are Headteacher Mr Jamieson, Miss Vickers (she terrified me!) Miss Longbottom, Miss Salt. Then I went to Gleadless Valley 80 - 85. I hated it, and was glad to see it razed to the ground! My form tutor was Miss Barnaby, and other teachers I remember are Miss Whitehead Pe, Miss Fairweather French, Mr Firth or Frith? Maths, Mr Wainwright English - he disappeared half way through the school year, Headteacher Mr Gaulton, who was replaced by Mrs Frankish (cow!) Mr Rolfe Re, Mr Lyons Physics.

After a bit of moving around Heeley, Arbourthorne and Intake, I am now back on Valley, and glad of it! I can see the water tower from my living room, and feel as though I have come home. I don't think it's as bad as portrayed and certainly no worse than other areas. :)

I went to Hemsworth School from approx 1968/9 to 1974

I remember the headmistress of the infants, Miss Hill, and I remember Miss Vickers, Mrs Longbottom, and Mrs Brown.

in the juniors, I remember Mr Crossley, the head, and Mr Ibbotson, and Mr Deakin, I forget the deputy head's name:- think it began with "M" he looked like Fulton Mckay the actor from Porridge.

Hi, I lived in Gleadless Valley between 1963 (moved from Hillsborough when I wa a couple of months old) until 1983. Middle Hay View- it used to be a great place to live- just across the road from the woods, inbetween the Far Lees and Wyvern pubs. Such a dump now.

Hi, I lived in Gleadless Valley between 1963 (moved from Hillsborough when I wa a couple of months old) until 1983. Middle Hay View- it used to be a great place to live- just across the road from the woods, inbetween the Far Lees and Wyvern pubs. Such a dump now.

~NO IT IS NOT. how dare you say that. I no longer live on the valley itself, which was next to the wyvern, but futher up the hill. Ihave to say that yes, there are some undesirables there, as in any area of sheffield. Gleadless is still a good area, why would so many decent people still be living there if it was not. to say it is a dump is very disrespectful to the decent good people who live there. I lived there from being 6 months old till about 2 years ago, I am now in my late 30s and I still have a soft spot for the area I grew up in. I have a lot of respect for the decent people still there, who I have known a lot of years. I take it as an insult to what you said. Don't tar the people there with the same brush as those hooligans, druggies and thugs that do live there as they do probably where you live also.:rant: :rant: