Anyone from Gleadless?

I was born onto Gaunt Close, in 1964, my grandma's immediate next door neighbours were called Dewsnap, and we lived directly behind a family called Palfreyman.

My grnadparents had been moved on there after slum clearance on Fawcett Street, Netherthorpe.

at the age of 2, I and my family moved to one of the top-floor maisonettes on Gaunt road, that was the spring of 66.

My sister arrived in the august of 66.

We lived there until 1974. I went to Constable Road School.

I remember our ceiling coming down, because one of those huge circular brick water tanks, which was situated on the roof of above us, burst, and flooded us out. (the tank was for the district heating system, which served each group of three blocks of maisonettes, by some sort of gravity feed, to the bottom block of the three, which housed the heating mechanism)

names I remember from my childhood are:

the Wells family, who lived in the flat directly under ours. children Denise and Steven

the Fox family, children Alison and Sean.

the Ludlam family, (daughter Julie)

the Steele family, children Jennifer and Mark.

I remember the Deakins, I was in the same class at school as Jacqueline, and I shared my birthday with Jacqi's mum, Brenda.

There was Nigel Potts, (same age as me) mother june, who lived on ironside road.

and I remember a family called Costello, who lived further up the road from us. My parents used to knock around with them,

I also was friends with a girl called Julie Paterson.

There was also the Swain family, Lilian, and Syd, (who were honorary uncle and aunt to me and my sister) their children were Christopher, Peter, and Kay.

I used to go to brownies with a girl in my class, Jane Freeman, I used to envy her hair sooo much, she had a dark, thick long plait, and I had thin, short, blonde hair... lol (isn't it funny what you remember?)

I have quite a few names, like Jane Marsden, who I remember and would like to name but i have to stop here as my OH is needing to get me off out and into the car... :(

PT

Plain Talker: reading your post brings back memories. Jane Marsden was older than you as she was in my class at GV. You must have been in the same year as Mark White. Steven Wells I believe would have been a year yonger because he would hang out with one of our nieghbours David (?) of Overend Drive. I recall the name Jane Freeman. Mark Steele is a name that rings a bell and Jaqueline Deakin. What about Julie BELL does that (ring a bell) strike a cord.

Regards

Here's a blast from the past.

Does anyone remember Graham "Wack" Walker ???

Guess who I spotted holding up the bar in the Horse + Groom last Thursday.

I didn't recognise him at first, but he knew me straight away. He said I hadn't changed at all. God I must have been an old-looking sod all those years ago.

Apparently he's just split with wife no.4

Christ, he must have been a busy lad.

Wack has only been married three times, he does tend to strech the truth to breaking point. He still thinks he is a teenager, it seems he has not looked in the mirror lately. He now lives at No 55 Dreamland!

• 3 weeks later...

Well. I've gone and done it again !

30 years after I first married Mrs P, I went and did it again, at the Holy Cross Church this time instead of the Register Office. It's known as a Blessing.

It was last Saturday week, and the booze-up (reception) was at the Horse and Groom. A brilliant time was had by all, including our great-granddaughter.

Nice to have the family along at such times. Thanks to all the staff at H+G for a brilliant spread/disco. :thumbsup:

Yours truly got absolutely blotto, and fell out of the taxi as we got home. Bashed both hands, both knees and managed cut cut my head open. My lad Steve patched me up OK so it couldn't have been that bad. I still managed to get down to the Queens Road Sunday lunchtime anyway ! :thumbsup:

It was great to see my old mate Alan Fell and his wife Jean. Alan was my best man at the original wedding, so it seemed totally appropriate to invite him to my second.

Only downside was that everybody snaffled the wedding cake, and neither me or Mrs P ended with any !!! :o

Plain Talker: reading your post brings back memories. Jane Marsden was older than you as she was in my class at GV. You must have been in the same year as Mark White. Steven Wells I believe would have been a year yonger because he would hang out with one of our nieghbours David (?) of Overend Drive. I recall the name Jane Freeman. Mark Steele is a name that rings a bell and Jaqueline Deakin. What about Julie BELL does that (ring a bell) strike a cord.

Regards

*chuckles* aah what memories!

You are correct that Ja(y?)ne Marsden *was* a year above me, and Steven Wells was year below me, (but he went to Bankwood IIRC, not Constable Road) Can't remember Mark White.

Trying to think about Julie Bell, if it's the Julie I'm thinking of, she was in Mr Deakin's class with me when we were in J3. Was she auburn haired, lived on Ironside Road, her dad drove an orange VW Kamper (caravette) in the early 70's?

My abiding memory of Jane freeman was that she had the longest, thickest plait of dark brown hair, I had ever seen, I was envious of it, with my thin, short blonde hair! lol! I sooooo longed for long, dark hair , in a thick plait, like hers.

Got to say growing up on G.V was a great experience. Reading all your posts brings back fond memories of people and places. I have not been back to the valley for over 20 years and feel sorrow at its demise.

I lived on Overend Drive and would hang around with John Sullivan, Andrew Roper and then Mark White. Of course there was the likes of Sharon Fletcher and Tina Marsden to keep us smiling..

When we grew up to our drinking days the Horse and Groom and the John O' Gaunt where the ones. Then we lost Daryl Wilde and Mark Bell ( Belley ) along the way R.I.P. We loved the Valley and lived for the weekends Friday at the Limit or the Crazy Daisy,Saturdays at the Rank ( Top Rank). Always on the late night bus home it was great, brilliant banter fuelled by copeous amounts of alcohol and there was never really any **** it did not matter if you came from Heally, Newfeild or G.V....... Great Times!!

Anyone know any news about Glenn Robinson, Glynn Machin, Phil Rose Mick Lindley, Craig Schemelled, Steve and Paul Senior, Gary Carr, Mark Platts, Gary Scholley and Anthoney Neil. They would all be about 42 to 46 years old now.

Take Care

Deano

Hi Deano do you remember me Mark Todd and Tim and Shaun Oldfield

Hello anyone here from Gleadless Valley from 1962 to 1970 if so send message :D:banana::headbang::wave::roll:

Hi Marie lived round in Norton ave just down from the Cutlers at that time, was not bad in those days, not so good now by all accounts, Cheers Arthur.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Plain Talker.

The blessing didn't co-incide with our 30th Wedding Anniversary, we had already had that. Our WA is 11th September. If you think about it, that means our 25th went with a bang, LITERALLY. KERPOW !!!!

Hi Plain Talker.

The blessing didn't co-incide with our 30th Wedding Anniversary, we had already had that. Our WA is 11th September. If you think about it, that means our 25th went with a bang, LITERALLY. KERPOW !!!!

oh, dear!! (after doing very quick mental arithmetic) I see what you mean!

*chuckles* aah what memories!

You are correct that Ja(y?)ne Marsden *was* a year above me, and Steven Wells was year below me, (but he went to Bankwood IIRC, not Constable Road) Can't remember Mark White.

Trying to think about Julie Bell, if it's the Julie I'm thinking of, she was in Mr Deakin's class with me when we were in J3. Was she auburn haired, lived on Ironside Road, her dad drove an orange VW Kamper (caravette) in the early 70's?

My abiding memory of Jane freeman was that she had the longest, thickest plait of dark brown hair, I had ever seen, I was envious of it, with my thin, short blonde hair! lol! I sooooo longed for long, dark hair , in a thick plait, like hers.

Yep Julie Bell was auburn haired. She had t.wo brothers Mark and Chris. Her father Kenny would have been the one that drove the camper van.

Steven Wells was a good freind of my cousin Steven when they where about 12 to 14.

What abput a chap by the name of Antony Riley he would have been local to you.