Anyone from Gleadless?

Hi all

I went to Gleadless Valley Comp 1974-79 and lived on Morland Road, I used to goto Herdings Youth Club which was run by Ted Jenkins MBE. Anybody that knows me will guess with my nickname and can contact me freely if they wish.

Stodge

The Stodge A.K.A. punk rock star R.T. Ficial (artificial - get it?) also known as Ray Ficial, the songwriter who penned the Gleadless Valley school classic punk song "anti moffett league" !!!

Just a thought, I mentioned Feb 1979. Does anybody else remember that horrible winter when Sheffield was cut off from the outside World and the gritters were on strike???

QUOTE]

I remember it, the buses all got stuck in the snow and there was one outside the John O Gaunt for about three days, we all used to go and sit in it and mess about.

Hi, I lived on Gleadless Valley from about 63 to 67. I was 3or4 when we moved there from Burton st. We lived in the second block of maisonettes on the left as you go up Blackstock Rd.

I remember my Dad making a wooden plant box for the balcony. When I drove past in the early 90's, the plant box was still there.

Names I remember are Michael Parsons, Stephen Roper ans Alison Butcher (even at infant school she was gorgeous).

I used to knock about with some of the France family. There were about 6 kids, but i really only remember Michael and Beverley.

SWe moved to South Anston in 67 and suddenly became property owning "posh" people lol.

Mick Parsons still lives in the area, and Mick France was the king of Northern Soul!!!

Does anyone remember the Easons, Moyses, Watkinsons and HAwleys from the maisonettes next to the wyvern pub?

QUOTE]

Would that be Pete Eason? who went on to be a singer in a band called The Negatives?

I ran into him at a Limit reunion, he was singing for a band called the Wildcats.

Edited by Grappler
Remembering stuff!!

I went to Hemsworth School from approx 1968/9 to 1974

I remember the headmistress of the infants, Miss Hill, and I remember Miss Vickers, Mrs Longbottom, and Mrs Brown.

in the juniors, I remember Mr Crossley, the head, and Mr Ibbotson, and Mr Deakin, I forget the deputy head's name:- think it began with "M" he looked like Fulton Mckay the actor from Porridge.

I was in Miss Browns class, then Miss Vickers (I think) and I remember Miss Hill. In the juniors I was in Mrs Ibbotsons class and also Miss Berrys, can't remember the other teachers names? Mt Crossley, who could forget him!!!

hi i lived in the vally from 1962 till around 1981 blackstock rd can any one remember glnn and shun robinson crag tyree .

I remember Glen and Shaun and I knew the name Craig Tyree but did not know him personally, he had a mate called "Lemon" and another crag called Crag Bates I think.

Got to say growing up on G.V was a great experience. Reading all your posts brings back fond memories of people and places. I have not been back to the valley for over 20 years and feel sorrow at its demise.

I lived on Overend Drive and would hang around with John Sullivan, Andrew Roper and then Mark White. Of course there was the likes of Sharon Fletcher and Tina Marsden to keep us smiling..

When we grew up to our drinking days the Horse and Groom and the John O' Gaunt where the ones. Then we lost Daryl Wilde and Mark Bell ( Belley ) along the way R.I.P. We loved the Valley and lived for the weekends Friday at the Limit or the Crazy Daisy,Saturdays at the Rank ( Top Rank). Always on the late night bus home it was great, brilliant banter fuelled by copeous amounts of alcohol and there was never really any **** it did not matter if you came from Heally, Newfeild or G.V....... Great Times!!

Anyone know any news about Glenn Robinson, Glynn Machin, Phil Rose Mick Lindley, Craig Schemelled, Steve and Paul Senior, Gary Carr, Mark Platts, Gary Scholley and Anthoney Neil. They would all be about 42 to 46 years old now.

Take Care

Deano

Deano, whatever happened to your Vespa Scooter? Do you remember the time we went to London with Ted Jenkins to buy suits on Carnaby Street and we both fell asleep on the coach on the way back and ended up in Leeds! We had to wait until the following morning and get the first train home.

Glenn Robinson has lived in Australia for the last 15 years or so. Glynn Machin lives in Denmark and is a top furniture designer! Last I heard Mark Platts owned the Corporation Night club, not sure if that is true.

Right, well thats about all the things answered that I can answer.

I am glad I found this place, brought back some great memories of growing up in the 1960's and 1970's in Gleadless Valley. What a fantastic place it was to grow up, all the green spaces, woods, golf course (being chased by Des Thomson, the grounds keeper) the "Black Path" up to Herdings park, the Fairground behind the Water Tower a few times a year, standing round the back of the Waltzer or the Speedway listening to Motown, Herdings Youth Club, Ted Jenkins, Hemsworth Juniors and Gleadless Valley Seniors, school blazers, badges, ties, Doc Martin boots, the Cutlers, The Bagshawe, The New Inn, The Horse and Groom, The Nailmakers and of course the John O Gaunt (and the Gaunt Mob) the chippy after the Gaunt kicked out, the number 20 and number 33 bus, Graves Park on a sunny afternoon, the boating lake, the Pavillion, lots of people on the streets at night, and knowing just about everyone you walked past and saying "Hiya" or "alright" to them........