Anyone from Gleadless?

julie jubb is my older sister, dont u remember sylvia and edwina then?

do you remember steve :roll::), the one with the rubbish records :P. julie liked railway trains, and sharpening her teeth with a butter knife , bit of a tomboy:D. edwina , yes i used to sit outside your house overlooking the garages with mick powel !. Lynn bunting , gail brown , tina taylor etc, Does that ring a bell!. I used to spend most of my time with the lads from central tec/ashleigh. gary marshall, john mc elwaine, mick shaw joined the army, pete frost, one of the gang, dave hinchcliffe, mick cockeran, pete ! payed for sufc junoirs, went out with susan lister !. Other names i remember from the valley / cts and ashleigh are , steven lee , saw him near meadowhall a few years ago , mick siddal , lynne blackwell ,( sorry lynn) , ann kent aka big boobs, some of the lads pulled her knickers off in the girls changing room at ashleigh after pt. popcorn , wendy morris mmmm , lorrain baily, susan platts, vicky heath, sharron/susan gill, susan buttler, mick kirk !. we used to go to the silver blades a lot. I left the valley around 72/73 joined the royal marines and transfered to the RN , met christopher hudson at hms ganges/raleigh 74/75 smile. Lots more names and memories ,mostly good from the valley in the grey cells. the norton fair , the church youthclub, i lived on overend way next to the woods with the access road to the electricity sub station , it had a white steel gate then. Iv`e got two class photo`s from the tec and ashleigh 1968 mr beevers , girls and boys, and sept 69 mr beevers and just the boys. i wil post them , when i learn how to upload on this site, anyone know how !.

Edited by tasape
brain started working again.

oh my god, blast from the past Richard. Sarah Malone here. Rays lorry was so much fun. funny how thinking about it can bring back so many memories. back then when we all lived there it was so fab. never realised it at the time tho. its not the same anymore, never will be.

seem to remember Pete being in a band years back called lasrevinu. is that right, rings a bell as remember it was universal spelt backwards. I have moved from sheffield and now live in barlborough. but am sad to say that my children will never have the kind of childhood that we had. was so free and so much fun. everyone knew everyone and the sun always seemed to shine.

Hi Chris, how are you? not been on here for so long. only looked today out of curiousity. hope you well. xx

Hi there

Gary Marshall was my best mate there was also Daryl Hartley

We used to play 'popping in' in the garages under Moyses house and cricket between the maisonettes at the bottom of the steps

Gary marshall , did he have a cousin called john mc,elwaine.

Gary marshall , did he have a cousin called john mc,elwaine.

Thanks for the reply; I've just remembered there were two Gary Marshalls at Gleadless Valley

One will be 53 now the other (your one) will be about 51

Are we human or are we denser?

oh my god, blast from the past Richard. Sarah Malone here. Rays lorry was so much fun. funny how thinking about it can bring back so many memories. back then when we all lived there it was so fab. never realised it at the time tho. its not the same anymore, never will be.

seem to remember Pete being in a band years back called lasrevinu. is that right, rings a bell as remember it was universal spelt backwards. I have moved from sheffield and now live in barlborough. but am sad to say that my children will never have the kind of childhood that we had. was so free and so much fun. everyone knew everyone and the sun always seemed to shine.

Hi Chris, how are you? not been on here for so long. only looked today out of curiousity. hope you well. xx

Hi Sarah

You and Sean were quite young when I left. I can still remember the pair of you flying around the front grass on wings

I'm sure I can remember breaking one of your bikes when you were about 4

I nearly was your baby sitter too; but your mom picked Stephen Hill & Rob Crocker as they were a couple of years older than me

I've been reading the posts and having a great laugh to myself. It really is something that people who aren't from Gleadless Valley can understand so it's difficult to share the memories with your nearest & dearest

I always look for your dad's entries in the Star letters page - he's good isn't he? The photos are interesting too

I often pull up outside Slack's on a Saturday and stop and watch the block for a few minutes - I was there last Saturday. Nobody ever seems to be about though

I don't know why I do it - old habits I guess

I wish I'd been on last year when you all went out - Laurie would not have been the eldest then!!!!!!!

My brother - yes he is still singing!! His latest band 'The Wild Cats' played at the Boardwalk 2 weeks ago

How strange you living at Barlborough - I'm at South Anston!

PS Chris appears to be the mortar that binds the brickwork of these threads - don't lose him!!

i use to live on bankwood road

then gaunt road (the block next to the bean)

then leighton road (next to the cutlers)

now gleadless road ::clap::hihi:

Hiya, I was in the John O Gaunt last weekend and got talking to a couple of locals about the 'Bean' I'm interested in finding out more. Do you have anymore memories about it? Ta, Gareth

I remember the "sandy bit", as we called the playground, being built, it was bean shaped and later it became known as "the bean" (or "beyn" as we would have pronounced it!) just next to the 8th hole on the golf course I think, that area with the fields and the woods were great for playing on for kids.

Hiya, I was in the John O gaunt last weekend and got talking to a couple of locals about the 'Bean' I'm interested in finding out more. Do you have anymore memories about it? Ta, Gareth