Anyone from Gleadless?

For Dave (wart)

I remember Graham Walker from around '67 ish.

I bumped into him one day 21 years ago at the old Jessops Hospital where his wife/girlfriend was due to give birth. When I told him I was there because my daughter was imminently due to give birth herself, he nearly had heart failure !!!

I knew both Graham and Gerald Walker, but more-so Gerald as I think he was about 1 year older than me. Graham I think was about 2 to 3 years younger. Me n Gerald used to deliver papers for Smithy, he did the Callow flats and I did Plowright, Blackstock and Bankwood. Remember I never bought a comic for years as I used to read them on my rounds. Remember once getting a rollocking off Smithy as my Mum wanted a jar of vinegar which I put in my paper bag. Slinging it on the floor the bottle broke and soaked all the Evening Stars, God they stunk and I wasn't too popular. Going back onto Graham, I remember his girlfriend was really fit and pretty. He got her pregnant and then I believe he joined the navy and ended up on the nuclear subs. After that (he would have been in his early 20's) I never saw him again. Gerald was a bit of a strange character and used to throw half crowns in the grass for me n my mates to find. This was a lot of money then, probably equivalent to over a tenner now! This was when I was about 14, often wondered where he got the money from.

Hi Grappler, Chris French was a close mate of mine for many years.

He ended up starting a very successful electrical business and is seriously stashed. His sister, Claire, married and moved away and I think she had kids. Chris hitched up with Stephen Pool's sister and had a boy who I imagine will be about 12 to 14 years old now. They still go out together but I don't think they ever married and even live in separate houses.Chris' mum got dementure many years ago but I believe she is still alive.Chris still lives in the same house on Bankwood Road.

Do you remember Dave Pridgeon? He lived through the cutting in parking bay on Bankwood. Classed as Blackstock Road. He became a successful materials scientist, built up a big company but sadly died of cancer in 2002. He has 3 kids, he was my best mate and like a brother right up to the end. His mum and dad were Mary and Ken Pridgeon.

I only vaguely remember Chris and Claire because their mum (Olga?) was a friend of my mum from years before, so the last time I saw them both would have been when we were around 6 or 7 years old.

• 3 weeks later...
yes john was one of the older ones,lived on valley all my life,grew up with sullivans,rodgers,lamberts,marlows,belks,fletchers,oates and many more who are still around

I know the Sullivans,said hello to Maureen at Heeley last week then ran into her ex hubby Carl a few days later small world eh ? I remember the Fletchers but can't remember first names,the Belk you mention Mick Belk ?