Why is it so hard to get a doctors appointment?

Because grades is all you need right? There is a reason why all potential medical students are interviewed. They need to be of the right character as in compassionate and sympathetic to the needs of the patient. You can’t be a high flying academic robot.

Not at all. Article in paper other day said exactly what I'm saying; perfect candidates being turned down because there simply aren't enough places in British med schools.

Several of them have subsequently got into foreign schools, but then they tend not to come back to our NHS, feeling no loyalty to it.

When I lived in Skegness the local surgery had a great system.

There were no pre-booked appointments till the day, unless the GP requested to see you on a follow up. The GP would have to request the appointment.

They had 6 call handlers and and lines opened at 8am for appointments starting at 8.30.

They had 4 GPs who staggered their break times to minimise lost time and last appointment was 4:55pm

Edited by Resident
formatting

I remember in the early 2000's when my local GP surgery had Saturday opening and Wednesday was a first come first served system. I recall Thursday being open til 8 PM too.

I wonder what happened to change that? Hmm..

Well Dave, the fact that a humble chemist was able to sort you out kind of proves that the receptionist was doing a good job in putting you off going to see the doctor and wasting his time. As far as the fee is concerned, that's intended to put you off wasting time too. Why ask a doctor anyway? There must be plenty of other people of equal standing in society who could vouch for you, surely? Any professional person who has known you for a sufficient time will do: a teacher, police officer, a chemist for that matter. The list given on the form is not exhaustive.

"His"?

I remember in the early 2000's when my local GP surgery had Saturday opening and Wednesday was a first come first served system. I recall Thursday being open til 8 PM too.

I wonder what happened to change that? Hmm..

Labour's GP deal in 2004?

"Labour's 2004 deal with GPs was complicated, but the devil is in the detail. For example, buried in the small print, it helped GPs to secure a 50 per cent pay rise, thanks to a new bonus system - and, at the same time, took away any obligation to see patients in the evenings or at weekends"

from here:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10099044/The-graph-that-shows-Labour-is-to-blame-for-the-pressures-on-AandE.html

Edited by truman

Labour's GP deal in 2004?

"Labour's 2004 deal with GPs was complicated, but the devil is in the detail. For example, buried in the small print, it helped GPs to secure a 50 per cent pay rise, thanks to a new bonus system - and, at the same time, took away any obligation to see patients in the evenings or at weekends"

from here:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10099044/The-graph-that-shows-Labour-is-to-blame-for-the-pressures-on-AandE.html

Exactly that. I'd like to see the Government undo this mess but after looking at the aggro with the reworking of junior doctors contracts, I'm not surprised no one wants to deal with it.

Exactly that. I'd like to see the Government undo this mess but after looking at the aggro with the reworking of junior doctors contracts, I'm not surprised no one wants to deal with it.

I have a friend who is a doctor and can remember him literally jumping for joy when that happened...

What may not help in getting a Doctors appointment is that many GP's are on a very decent wage, allowing many of them to work "part time" as a choice. Nowt wrong with that if it is their choice, but it cannot help a busy Practise - can it?.

Angel1.

• 1 year later...

During 65+ years, I have been fortunate enough to call only occasionally on NHS services. And so, when I needed to present with a condition and turned up as I always had, in the pre-0800 queue at my local surgery for a same-day appointment, I was surprised to be told this system had been scrapped. "People phoning in were annoyed that there weren't any appointments left." So, I went home, and hit the phone line frequently during the appointed window. No luck....but finally, a message "All routine appointments are now taken".  So I have now joined the ranks of the annoyed, without an appointment. Hmm.