Why is it so hard to get a doctors appointment?

9 hours ago, sibon said:

My GP surgery has a good system.

If you need an urgent appointment you call and ask for one. Same day appointments only though.

If you have a less urgent issue, you fill out an online form. The GP team review your case and either phone you, or see you face to face. Takes a few days, but it is stress free and you get to see/speak with a GP who already has an idea about your concerns.

I do not think the our GPs do not offer online booking which would be handy in this case. That said, surely no GPs can only offer online bookings, emergency or not.

I still don't understand why GPs cannot offer appointments in advance, even if only half are released for that. My cynical observation that that system would mean the GPs would have to book their time off for holidays in advance may not be the main reason ! It may be that they are so short staffed they cannot guarantee to have a GP (or enough GPs) in. But there is a solution for that, bookings in advance are made subject to staff being available and the reception staff would phone and/or text and/or E mail patients to tell them if the appointment was cancelled.

Edited by Chekhov

41 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

I do not think the our GPs do not offer online booking which would be handy in this case. That said, surely no GPs can only offer online bookings, emergency or not.

I still don't understand why GPs cannot offer appointments in advance, even if only half are released for that. My cynical observation that that system would mean the GPs would have to book their time off for holidays in advance may not be the main reason ! It may be that they are so short staffed they cannot guarantee to have a GP (or enough GPs) in. But there is a solution for that, bookings in advance are made subject to staff being available and the reception staff would phone and/or text and/or E mail patients to tell them if the appointment was cancelled.

I think that is the point of the system my doctors use. I’ve no idea how well the emergency bit works, as I’ve never needed it, thankfully.

I was really sceptical about the online form and booking. It turned out to work really well for me. I was seen reasonably promptly, by a well briefed GP.  They must also screen out some people, who don’t need to be seen  by making phone calls.

I’ve had a couple of subsequent follow ups by phone. Which has also worked well.

2 hours ago, sibon said:

I think that is the point of the system my doctors use. I’ve no idea how well the emergency bit works, as I’ve never needed it, thankfully.

I was really sceptical about the online form and booking. It turned out to work really well for me. I was seen reasonably promptly, by a well briefed GP.  They must also screen out some people, who don’t need to be seen  by making phone calls.

I’ve had a couple of subsequent follow ups by phone. Which has also worked well.

It’s all about you , isn’t it 

Getting through in the morning  to try to make an appointment is hard work but once your through no probs,  once your in with the doctor and he/she wants to see you again, just ask the doctor to make your appointment through the reception, saves all the messing about again.