Sheffield Snooker

After driving home listening to the radio I was gob smacked with the statement that Sheffield was famous for snooker I was spitting feathers and screeming at the radio "what about the steel,knives and forks and twist drills" to name a few.

Is my home town only known for snooker, what a sad state of affairs, I am of a mind to promote an awarenes of what our town is. Even though I no longer live there I am proud of my home.

i dont see what the problem is

its famous for something.....normally a lot more than most places

its famous for whats in the news at the time (ie: every year its the snooker, at the minute is bands like the arctic monkeys, rev and the makers and little man tate) back in the 80s it was famous for bands like the human league, back in the 90s it was pulp, it was famous for steel / knives when there was a massive industry, not any more

There is an advertising board around the Crucible arena which says: "Sheffield Snooker City". There is no doubt that the World Championships bring a lot of revenue, attract much publicity and many visitors to the city. The BBC coverage is always positive and shows other attractions in the city during intervals etc.

Hi meltheball and CHAIRBOY, it would appear that I did not express myself on the post I started. I am aware that the glory days of Sheffield steel have been desimated my point was that if all Sheffield is remembered by people who come to the city is snooker what will you say to all the people that worked in all the steel industries 12 hours a day and made Sheffield what it was. I understand your comments with the groups that have come from Sheffield the one you missed was Joe Cocker.

My main point was if people only remember sheffield for Snooker and not its contribuition to steel then ok.

Hi meltheball and CHAIRBOY, it would appear that I did not express myself on the post I started. I am aware that the glory days of Sheffield steel have been desimated my point was that if all Sheffield is remembered by people who come to the city is snooker what will you say to all the people that worked in all the steel industries 12 hours a day and made Sheffield what it was. I understand your comments with the groups that have come from Sheffield the one you missed was Joe Cocker.

My main point was if people only remember sheffield for Snooker and not its contribuition to steel then ok.

This afternoon the BBC with Dennis Taylor gave a good plug for the City Centre and the redevelopment.

It looked good (editing) but would impress people from other parts of the country.

After driving home listening to the radio I was gob smacked with the statement that Sheffield was famous for snooker I was spitting feathers and screeming at the radio "what about the steel,knives and forks and twist drills" to name a few.

Is my home town only known for snooker, what a sad state of affairs, I am of a mind to promote an awarenes of what our town is. Even though I no longer live there I am proud of my home.

Did they say "Sheffield is only famous for snooker"? I doubt it, so there's no problem is there? There's no rule which says that everytime you talk about somewhere you have to list all the reasons why it's famous...

Besides, Sheffield is famous for snooker, isn't it?

Archived