Lost friends and family

nsiebert

Sean

I thought Miss Smith was called rubberneck, because her neck was quite thick and the hair grew right down the back, they were a good pair together though.

Miss Smith played "The trout" on the piano and I remember having to sing it really loud, and back on the subject of Mr Andrews, we were playing up once in the music class and he heard and came in, and made us sing "Men of Harlech" and he walked around and if everyone wasnt singing at full pelt you were in more trouble, but sometimes in the music class they would let us sing modern stuff and everyone was right into it.

Did anyone go on the overseas trips at school, I think we should set up another Hinde House thread, so I will now,

Originally posted by Mithrandir

Mr Pemberton or Spam as he was known. I only remember him being there for the first couple of years so I guess he must have retired.

-sean

Not sure if he retired Sean, I PMed Nsiebert about him which may have some connection as to why he went which I cannot put on here.

Nsiebert do you think they could be a connection between his " retirement" and the reason I thought he had left.

It adds up does'nt it.

Does anyone remember mr Ball -( think ive got name right.)from wincobank swings.

He was the park keeper come-everything.

He had this little hut and use to patch all the kids up who had fallen down he used very strong antiseptic.

He was a small elderly chap in 60s.

I think he went to live in shiregreen years after.

cant imagine anything like this today, theres no one looking after parks properly let alone kids knees etc.

he was a great old guy.

Yes indeed it was Miss Smith ( although I seem to remember she was actually Mrs ) and the neck problem was as a result of polio when she was younger I understand. I have a vague recollection of my mother explaining "Mrs Smiths unfortunate predicament" and why it's cruel to make fun of other's misfortune to me, probably after a PTA meeting.

To this day I have a mental image of her and Mr Dowling as the bad guy and his sidekick in the James Bond film - don't remember the characters as I'm not a Bond fan.

I too remember having to sing the Trout and also adlibing "and they've all got spots" in the middle of Ilkley Moor bar t'at.

My mother was somewhat of an activist in those days even to the point of sending Mr Scott the swimming instructor at Sutherland Road Baths a stinker of a letter when he threatened to cut my hair. As revenge he made me get changed on the girls side - like that was supposed to be punishment ?

Mr Scott, as I relate on the memories of the seventies thread started by Nsiebert [Nadine], was given to hurling the timid into the "deep end" of that filthy pool. Allegedly, the irate father of one of his victims [the kid was called Mitchell, but I can't recall the surname] threw Scott in ! If true, he thoroughly deserved it. The man was a sadist and a bully. Was he a relative of the caped terror of Hinde House, Derwyn Edwards?!

Did anyone else play this in wincobank. or anywhere else.

two gangs and one would run all over wincobank with a piece of chalk and every so often chalk arrows on the floor.

the other group would have to wait a certain amount of time then go off in hot persuit of the arrows until they found the other group.

but you could put false trails etc like drawing arrows so far up an entry where a vicious bulldog lived or something.

or up a dead end.

this game went on hours till the first gang was found.

there was so many places to go at wincobank then.

until developers came along.

does anyone remember the fayre at very top of newman road.

probably you will nes.

Tara

I used to love the fair, and the waltzer was the best, we were so fascinated by those fair boys that worked at the fair,

They were sort of dangerous and rough for some reason.

They used to come and spin and spin us until we were dizzy, and we thought it was great.

We would come home for more money, it must have been fairly cheap or my Dad wouldnt have given me more.

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by timo

Tara, your reference to stone fights made me smile. We not only have the hijacking of Fletchers' vans in common, but also the aforementioned form of combat. I remember huge,twenty a side arranged scraps at Hinde House, where myself and other demented bloody fools would pelt each other with stones. The Shiregreeners appeared to be more advanced in their stone-throwing prowess than we lower Wincobank lads, and we had a healthy respect for their fighting ability. I remember one time near Xmas in the early seventies, at Concord Middle School, one of our lads [David Watts, a ginger-haired guy] came to the school fancy dress competition in the remains of what should have been a Dalek costume. Watts was in floods of tears, cut and bleeding, with his Dalek costume ripped to shreds, and only just hanging off him. "What on Earth has happened to you, David?". Watts replied, between sobs and gulps, "T'Shiregreeners 'ave stoned me, Miss!". To my eternal shame, I laughed until I was nearly incontinent...

Nsiebert [Nadine], thanks for private email. Good luck and best wishes to you.

that stone throwing must have gone on a long time we did in the 1940s only it was on winco hill against the owler lane lads