Does anyone in Hillsborough remember Walter?

Thank you for the up to date photo of Walter and for letting us know he is still around.

He looks good, bless him. . .:)

Seeing him has made my day. It's a shame we don't see more of him. Loved by plenty of Sheffield folk. :bigsmile:

Walter i think was a long term patient at Middlewood hospital and used to roam around Wadsley, Wisewood and Hillsborough & Langsett back in the late 70's and 80's.

He used to give all the kids sweets and toys such as conkers on strings and he even gave me a gold fish in a bag that he won at the fair!

I saw him last year sat at Hillsborough corner and he's hasn't really changed that much.

I just wondered if anyone knew his story?

A guy like that today would be viewed with great suspicion but he was harmless and good natured, just a bit retarded thats all.

when we were kids in stannington/stanwood there was an ernest and a walter that lived in an old stone cottage next to hawkhills old peoples home. it was a woman with a milk round that looked after them. we used to call it the funny farm (not very nice i know). are these the same people?

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Aww I love the photo! he still looks the same as I remember him! He's a much loved man! I grew up around wisewood/hillsborough and I'm so glad I had the honour of seeing him often and my children got to meet him aswell, it's a shame that he probably doesn't understand how important he is to all of us who grew up in that area xxxx

---------- Post added 10-04-2014 at 20:15 ----------

Does anyone remember Maureen and Dougie? my nan looked after them when she worked at middlewood, not seen them two for years? Maureen always asked if you had a fag or a light! lol she once actually got into our school grounds in secondary school at wisewood! Xxx

I also remember the house at Stanninigton near the Deerstalker pub that local kids called the funny farm. Think the lady there cared for a few people was her name Lilly? Think these must have been the same people. Always remember Ernest breaking into song! Could be on the street or bus. Christmas songs were a treat!

i used to work in Middlewood sewing room i remember Walter & Dougie, bless them. that brings back some memories
Hi wendy stacey - welcome to the Forum!.:) In 1945-46 Dougie and my dad had a small wireless & electrical shop "Robinson & March" on Spital Hill. Dougie was the "brains" behind the business; it closed when he became ill (catatonic schizophrenia) and he spent the rest of his life in Middlewood. In the 1950s his mother, Elizabeth March, sometimes used to call at our house on her way to visit him, which she did every day for many years; she died in 1962. Dougie's condition improved in the mid-1960s thanks to modern medication - it's so sad that his mother didn't live to see this improvement - but Dougie stayed at Middlewood simply because he had nowhere else to go. He used to do various jobs for us - repairing radios, TVs, stereos etc. and Walter would sometimes come with him. Dougie died aged 70 in September 1987; his sister Bertha, my mother and I were among the few people at the funeral. Edited by hillsbro