Potential New Bar in Town..

richynomates

Originally posted by bassman-x

*sigh* Another ****e townie bar to add to add to Sheffield's growing collection, yet more accomodation for **** heads out to start a fight, alas anyone not wanting to go out to an over-crowded bar, playing too loud music, surrounded by drunkards once again gets squeezed out of the city centre.

It is true there are some decent places to go as someone has already listed, but these are become scarcer and increasingly loosing the fight against the marching army of chain bars attempting to take over every city centre in the country and turn them all into identikits of each other.

:rant: :rant: :rant:

I like going to traditional pubs where I can get decent beer, I also like posh bars with smart surroundings and nice people in a (normally) relaxed atmosphere.

However - it's great now and then to go to such a mad townie bar and just be able to let your hair down and have a LAUGH!

Originally posted by E-Man Groovin

Must disagree DateExpress. Here's a list of fine (not pretentious) Sheffield bars that would grace any city:

1. The Wig and Pen

2. Trippets

3. Lounge Bar (during the week)

4. The Forum

5. The Priory

6. Menzells

I'm sure there are more, but those were the first few that came to mind.

So there!

I really like the Priory I go alot in there in the daytime for food which is Excellent. The only down side to it is that it is so Smokey in there.Roll on the smoking ban!

Originally posted by NatalieSheff

number 4? you having a laugh?

Sorry Nat. I do understand where you're coming from. I used to love the Forum. It was like an extension to my living room - I was there nearly every night.

But I kinda o-d'ed on The Forum and which has been a good thing coz I've discovered a whole world of variety in the city centre scene.

So why not do a different bar every night (Starting with Trippets tonight perhaps?...) ;)

*sigh* Another ****e townie bar to add to add to Sheffield's growing collection, yet more accomodation for **** heads out to start a fight, alas anyone not wanting to go out to an over-crowded bar, playing too loud music, surrounded by drunkards once again gets squeezed out of the city centre.

It is true there are some decent places to go as someone has already listed, but these are become scarcer and increasingly loosing the fight against the marching army of chain bars attempting to take over every city centre in the country and turn them all into identikits of each other.

:rant: :rant: :rant:

I think this should have gone ahead, as all the townie's will go there, and there is less chance of seeing them in the decent bars!

Originally posted by Andy C

I like going to traditional pubs where I can get decent beer, I also like posh bars with smart surroundings and nice people in a (normally) relaxed atmosphere.

However - it's great now and then to go to such a mad townie bar and just be able to let your hair down and have a LAUGH!

I'm not against having some of this type of pub, it's fair to have something for everyone. Just seems at the moment that pretty much all of new bars opening are of this ilk, there's no diversity.

I also really detest chain bars taking over our city centres and making them lose their individuality.

I'm not against having some of this type of pub, it's fair to have something for everyone. Just seems at the moment that pretty much all of new bars opening are of this ilk, there's no diversity.

I also really detest chain bars taking over our city centres and making them lose their individuality.

I would have said that most of the new bars are not of that style, they are generally 'style' bars.

That said if we are talking about late bars I guess you are right, that is mainly due to the licesing requirement that says they have to have a dance floor, cloakroom and food. The new licening laws coming in should change that.

I really agree about chain bars though, it's often the ones with individual style that stand out, and we don't want the identikit High Street syndrome. Some chains are worse than others of course, Wetherspoons, Barracuda and Yates spring to mind as offenders of being the same wherever you go.

Originally posted by richynomates

Always thought it is a bit of a waste to have such a nice building all boarded up, but the planning applications for last week include one for the former Salvation Army Citadel opposite the Peace Gardens.

The applicant is a Buffalo Joes, who have a bar in the Newcastle area. Been doing a bit of looking, but no doubt some of Sheffield Forum's members might have been. Is it any good? Is it the sort of thing currently missing in Sheffield city centre? They might not get it, but the application is there...

being from newcastle have to say would be great to see sheffield with a buffalo joe's bar bring some life to the city . everytime i been der i have had a laff and its something different something i think this city needs ;)

Originally posted by Dangerous

being from newcastle have to say would be great to see sheffield with a buffalo joe's bar bring some life to the city . everytime i been der i have had a laff and its something different something i think this city needs ;)

I agree...went to Newcastle a few months ago with 3 of my mates and we had a mad time in buffalo joe's.

it is cheesy but had a good laugh and would love to have same/similar bar in sheff!

Archived