Who remembers the old Sheffield?

i was thinking today about sheffield over the years whats gone but still remembered. I remember the hole in the road in town with the fish tank inside and all the subways where i used to run through. The old peace gardens and in the summer with the flowers and the council building now replaced by hotel and big green house. and how sheffield was through my 30 years growing up. Dose anyone those times even though im 30 still young

I remember playing truant in the subway and looking at the fish in the tank in the hole in the road. Id then go to the railway station for a couple of hours to watch the trains, then go to the sheaf market for some grub, then walk up to the Western parK museum to spend the rest of the day in there.

Or Id go to the Kelvin flats and up in the glass sided lifts to the top floor and play up there.

yeah I remember the fish tank in the hole in the road near C&A I used to love to look at them. Im 37 so I can even remember when we still had steel works (pre Thatcher) I used to go down attercliffe with my grandad he worked for Firth Browns all before meadohall. Riding anywhere on a bus all for 2p and free events in the parks fireworks in November and the army in norfolk park.I even saw the multi cloured swop shop there one year wow that was a wile ago :hihi::D

Anyone remember the Victoria railway station having to re-open when Midland station was flooded - used to go up in a lift in the Wicker Arches.

Sheaf Valley baths were good, but not as cool as the Lido at Millhouses Park. Ahhhh! the summer or '76 spent there....

Sheffield shows too. PROPER ones in Hillsborough park, when real famous people visited.

I used to love looking at the police and army and navy and air force stands.

The Sheffield shows where the only time most kids saw real livestock on the animal stalls.

roxy disco for kids on a saturday mornin/afternoon now that was good then upto the hole in the road to check them fish out. Dose anyone know what happened to them fish when they filled it in
They all got jobs at the manpower!

Archived