Who remembers the old Sheffield?

Handy, I had quite forgotten about the bus tickets; but yes, you are right, we used to reckon that numbers which added up to 21 were lucky. Nowadays they'd say that we ought to have got out more - but of course we were on the bus, so we WERE out!

I few posts ago, I mentioned the Sheffield Hurricane (still awaiting confirmation of the year: anybody?). That links to one of your points: as my bus homeward from King Ted's climbed Arbourthorne Hill, it went past a large estate of prefabs. The morning after the big blow, the whole lot were flattened like flat-oack furniture (which, in a way, is what they were). A few of the residents were even interviewed on the TV - a rare privilege in those days. I vividly remember one chap standing outside the pack of cards which had been his home, saying, "Next thing we knew, we was standing there in us night attire". Quote of the week.

I delivered newspapers to the prefabs.I took a lot back to the papershop as there was a lot flattened.

There was some great shops in Sheffield in the 70s,as a dj i have always been in to collecting records from a very early age i remember Canns on chaple walk and violet mays on the corner of matilda street,Roulet records on the galery, spent most Saturday mornings there. Also going to the Golden Dragon resturant,must have been one of the first chinees rests. of its kind in Sheffield.

Things were realy local on those days,i got to know most of the radio Hallam djs,they used to hang about in Sheffield city ctr. and sheffield pubs before the days when hallam was run by student types with no persionality (see threads on Radio Hallam).

radio Sheffield also had a studio on Norfolk st. i used to go and be on a prog. called "Down town saturday. MAGICAL TIMES!

do you remember the copper kettle cafe on Norfolk st,or the golden egg where joe Cockers mother worked?.

Do You Remember:

The Castlefolds Fruit and Veg Market. ( Don't ask me to explain where it was. There isn't a building or structure left in that area that I can use as a reference.) All moved out to the Parkway by the early 1960's.

I remember that and all the other things you mention.

The Sheaf market replaced Castlefolds market. That was recently also demolished and the site is now occupied by a newly built multi-storey car park and office block. I think the lane that was called Castle Folds disappeared when Sheaf markets was built.

It took twenty years to rebuild on the Burtons site - which must have cost the council a lot in lost business rates, and the same with the Odeon cinema on Flat street - the girder work there almost became a monumental memorial to the Blitz !

I don't remember many of the shops on the Moor, - there weren't a lot left anyway :), but I do remember Atkinson's occupying the old Central cinema and M&S in the Landsdowne. The thing I remember most about the Moor was the huge black Brunswick Chapel at the bottom and the stinking Porter brook than ran in an open culvert at the back of it.

Thanks to everyone for the memories.

I used to go into town by myself on Saturdays...was about 9 at the time.... I'd freak now if my grandkids did that!

I remember buying flowers for my mom near the rag and tag and paying less than 2 shillings for a large bouquet.

Hated the meat and fish market....all those fish laying on ice and dead rabbits hung on hooks...horrible sight.

Used to go to the pantomine every Christmas season at Lyceum or Empire.

From age 11 on went to Brincliffe Grammar and rode up and down Moor every school day for the next 5 years. Loved it when they put on the Christmas lights.

I am saddened to hear so many shops are now gone as well as the grammar schools....

I can just remember some of the blitzed buildings even tho I was born after war...it took that long to rebuild.

unlucky fitzallan square.

The marples got bombed in the war,iwas there the day that Wigfalls was burnt to the ground,and saw the classic cinema go up in smoke to,Nothing to do with me im not a pyromaniac i just happened to be in town at the time,but not when the marples got bombed before my time!

its not looking to bad now but a shame no one wants the old gpo building or the old halfords shop.

does anyone know that underneath Fitzallan square was the offices of Sheffield Transport.

This is all fascinating to a newcomer like me. One of the exPO's (Petty Officer's) I used to work with was from Sheffield. He joined the RN and then moved to Australia. He told me I would get quite a shock moving from Sydney Harbour to Sheffield. He was right, but not for the sae reasons. He left in the 70,s. From what I have read on here and seen, Sheffield is very different from what it used to be!

• 2 weeks later...
... I few posts ago, I mentioned the Sheffield Hurricane (still awaiting confirmation of the year: anybody?).

It was 1962; I remember it well. Aged 13, I was staying with my grandparents. Grandad woke up to find two greenhouses in his garden. He hadn't had one the day before...

Some prefabs on Skye Edge were blown down and the people had to be quickly rehoused, some of them at Shirecliffe. I think "The Star" published a special "hurricane edition" with lots of photos etc.

Sounds like you kids won't remember the two cannon which stood on a plinth at Moorhead, beside a statue on the top of a stone column. The cannon were captured in the Crimean War and, I think, they were melted down in Second WW. There were also two other guns which were housed in one of the greenhouses at the Botanical Gardens. These were the Town Guns which dated back to around 1760 and used by the Sheffield Artillery Volunteers, a militia unit of that period. They were taken over by the TA artillery regiment which was in Edmund Road Drill Hall until about !965. Don't know what happened to them, but the Council at that time despised anything military and thought that declaring Sheffield to be a nuclear free zone would give sufficient protection to the citizens. I'm told they were sent to Manchester or, possibly, somewhere in Rotherham. Any ideas?

Sounds like you kids won't remember the two cannon which stood on a plinth at Moorhead, beside a statue on the top of a stone column. The cannon were captured in the Crimean War and, I think, they were melted down in Second WW. There were also two other guns which were housed in one of the greenhouses at the Botanical Gardens. These were the Town Guns which dated back to around 1760 and used by the Sheffield Artillery Volunteers, a militia unit of that period. They were taken over by the TA artillery regiment which was in Edmund Road Drill Hall until about !965. Don't know what happened to them, but the Council at that time despised anything military and thought that declaring Sheffield to be a nuclear free zone would give sufficient protection to the citizens. I'm told they were sent to Manchester or, possibly, somewhere in Rotherham. Any ideas?

I think one of the town guns now stands in the Kelham Island museum where the big engine is.

Archived