Who remembers the old Sheffield?

Ooo....got all nostalgic after my last post on another thread and all the shops on Crookes that were part of my childhood, I can remember some, please fill me in any missing gaps if ya can!!

Kandy Kabin

Pet Shop

Watch menders??

Chemist

Woods Newsagents

Patience Wall - wool shop (my mother spent hours in there)

Mrs Scotts Library - scary, wierd little shop

Gills Fruit & Veg

Toyland - for beanies in match boxes and silly putty yeah!!

Pointers sweet shop

Mr Claytons fish shop

Heel Bar

Fletchers

Ballins - OMG!! such lovely clothing - how could my mother!!

Pricekeen

The posher clothes shop near Punch Bowl - Witsuntide outfit only!! haha

The butchers shop with sawdust all over floor

Carrack wallpaper

and my fave shop - The Joke Shop - yeah!! Itching powder, blue mouth sweets, stink bombs, false ciggys and chewy that snapped ya fingers.

Memories were made of this, .........:thumbsup::bigsmile:

Some more for you.

Wells - toy shop. Oldhams - cycle shop Scruttons - barbers

Oxleys - newsagents (now Baxters) Pop Meeson's - pop/lollies

The old S & E Co-op, Temperance Bar - just below the Ball.

Crownshaws - top of Springvale Rd. Wet fish shop (near what is now Hercule). Blanksbys (bookies). The Original Grindstone.

I remember "Burberrys" on West Street which stocked (in the window) all of the faculty scarves of the University of Sheffield - in the days of the duffle coat. Next door was "Dainties" - up a couple of steps - to access all those sweet jars. These shops were just below the post office near Leopold Street junction.

I also remember the rear entry buses which when full, the conductor put a chain across.

Press Button A/B telephone boxes.

The tardis in Fitzalan Square by the GPO.

Wasn't there a rival toyshop to Redgates, Wilson Gumpert?

I remember "Burberrys" on West Street which stocked (in the window) all of the faculty scarves of the University of Sheffield - in the days of the duffle coat. Next door was "Dainties" - up a couple of steps - to access all those sweet jars. These shops were just below the post office near Leopold Street junction.

I also remember the rear entry buses which when full, the conductor put a chain across.

Press Button A/B telephone boxes.

The tardis in Fitzalan Square by the GPO.

Wasn't there a rival toyshop to Redgates, Wilson Gumpert?

Wilson Gumperts were in the White Building shops in Fitzalan Square.

His surname is certainly Cocker, and he is/was connected with the Cocker cutlery firm. He used to live near us, on Avondale Road, but moved away in the late 1970s. When I started as a student nurse at the Northen General in 1969 he let me have a nice pair of scissors cheap. After he left Hillsborough I often used to see his estate car with religious texts painted on it. Nice chap, but a strange lifestyle...

Is that true? I thought that his name was CRocker?

Hi Chairboy,

I seem to remember Burberrys having a shop towards the top of Howard Street (late 40's/early 50s). In those days Burberry was a generic term for a raincoat, rather like Mackintosh but not so well used.

Mike

Remember the underpass that was built across the bottom of Fargate, from the Gas shop (old Coles' Corner) to Boots? It wasn't in place 'five minutes' before they decreed Fargate a pedestrian precinct! Money wasted, I thought.

It was a "double" underpass, as it also crossed Church Street to a point near the end of East Parade. The council do seem to have had a liking for digging underpasses, and then after a few years filling them in again. Some were apparently successful at first, and were popular with retailers (remember Castle Square - there were two branches of Leeson's newsagents, and entrances to the House of Fraser, Bunker & Pratley, Midland Bank etc., also the transport enquiry office). At about the same time (1967-68 ) they made underpasses along Arundel Gate and offered the retail space for rent - but no businesses rented the space as not enough people used the subways, so the "shop fronts" became a graffiti gallery.

No offence meant it was the thumbs up I was meaning to portray shall have to stop using these figures not quite used to them yet. Sorry

It is me who should be sorry to you for being an overly sensitive old thug.

My apologies to you.

All the best,

Treatment.

(remember Castle Square - there were two branches of Leeson's newsagents, and entrances to the House of Fraser, Bunker & Pratley, Midland Bank etc., also the transport enquiry office).

I remember that Castle Square, (ole in t' rooad) was great at the start, a meeting point that was out of the rain, a way of crossing the roads without risk, and somewhere to see some tropical fish. But it ended up as a graffiti paradise and a place for the winos to sit. Maybe it was me growing up and seeing things differently.

Archived