Who remembers the old Sheffield?

What wonderful memories, particluarly of FSquare. There was an old joke aound at the time:

"The police found a dead man in Fitzalan Square, they couldnt spell it so dragged him to Pond Street".

I remember the tardis, the glass windows on the floor by the side of GPO, red phone boxes, Wigfalls and the Classic (was always filthy and if you sat in the upstairs bit you could throw popcorn on the folks in the lower seats).Pond St Kiosk and the escalators and bridge. Our bus (the No63 to Birley) was caught at the bottom of the escalator.

Happy memories

how long must we stay in the past?

yes I recall the things and places mentioned and yes lets not 4get sheffield by gone days but things change.

Trekker it is threads like these that bring a laugh and smile to some people, including me, if that is wrong or sad then so be it, but why are you in the history forum, after all... history = past

I endorse this endorsement. For many of us, this is the only Sheffield we remember as we have been away far too long. Personally since 1959. When a life has been made elsewhere, it is difficult to sever those new connections to move back to ones happy memories which, in all probability, no longer exist.

And here’s another endorsement. Born and bred in Sheffield, it was only after I retired that I came to live in Lincolnshire. It’s a lovely spot with very nice people* but I am Sheffield born and bred. It is our experiences in childhood, adolescence and early adulthood that make us what we are, and it is always interesting to reflect on those times (from the 1950s onwards in my case) and swop stories with others who remember them. Naturally, we tend to remember happy times more than harder ones, and this is the pleasure of nostalgia. It might be said that we are living in the past – maybe, but I don’t care. I am realistic enough to enjoy living for the present, as well as planning the rest of my retirement at the same time as I am thinking of bygone days.

*including my new wife, a Lincolnshire lass – this old Sheffield bachelor got married in March!

Threads like these are the only ones some of us can relate to.

I was born in 1950, brought up in the Park District but left Sheffield in the mid 70s.

To me Sheffield is all about what I can remember of it as I knew it then, not the modern one I visit now.

There are also public conveniences still under Fitzalan Square. Edward V11 stands guard over them. See my input about the old Burton building at the top of Angel Street. I remember the opening of the original Odeon (now Mecca Bingo) in Flat Street. The opening film was 'Reach For The Sky', and all who attended the civic opening screening were given a 'Made in Sheffield' penknife. I worked on the top floor of the Head Post Office in Fitzalan Square and we had a really good view of the area.

My late father also worked for the gpo for about thirty or so years mainly in the new sorting office above the penny black.

you may remember Jack Myers.

ps. There is no truth in the rumour that there is a secret door from the gpo to the penny Black without going outside. lol.

Archived