Who remembers the old Sheffield?

What about the little mesters workshops where Ponds Forge / Bus Station is now. On the opposite side of the road there was a little takeaway where you would get served through a hatch in the wall?:)

My mates and I regularly used to catch the bus into town just for something to do on a night time as it was better than hanging around the streets... and catch it straight back.

I remember once losing my busfare and having to go searching the streets for any dropped 1 or 2ps to get home. I found one pence in the road but had to beg for the other in the hole in the road:blush: Imagine it now, can i borrow a small loan with interest please, price of busfares these days?

Always too scared to jump off the top at Sheaf Valley and found the middle one quite scary.

I also used to like going to the Gaumont cinema but queuing wasn't that fun...

I'm always harping on about when the Haymarket was a thriving shopping mecca of Sheffield, really sad to see BHS in the state it is these days. The street is not even on any of the new maps! It's as if that whole area of sheffield doesn't exist!

God we used to do that too! Just pick a bus to go on, either the number 10 from Parson Cross to town or the 17 from there to town and just ride there and then back.

It was a right bargain from Aston, especially if you caught the 215 rather than the X15 - which went the quick way down the Parkway! Passed a good hour and a half!

What about the little mesters workshops where Ponds Forge / Bus Station is now. On the opposite side of the road there was a little takeaway where you would get served through a hatch in the wall?:)

The 'New Yorker'.

i used to live in walkley and got 95 and was able to go down high st on the bus as it was both ways but now u have to go down the moor and round. Plus been able to go round sheffield with out diversions here there and everywhere

In the summer holidays we used to set out at 5 am and walk from the cross to dam flask. Spend the day messeing around there, then spend the night in a tent before walking back the next day.

Some summers, we`d spend days at Wharncliffe or Greno woods and on the moors, just hanging out and enjoying ourselves.

I remember taking the kids to see the Christmas lights down the Moor every year. They were better than Blackpool illuminations, not like the paltry things that we get these days. The kids would get really excited.

I also remember the 'Rag and Tag', the outdoor market that was behind where Wilkinsons is now. You could buy almost anything there.

yeah I remember the fish tank in the hole in the road near C&A I used to love to look at them. Im 37 so I can even remember when we still had steel works (pre Thatcher) I used to go down attercliffe with my grandad he worked for Firth Browns all before meadohall. Riding anywhere on a bus all for 2p and free events in the parks fireworks in November and the army in norfolk park.I even saw the multi cloured swop shop there one year wow that was a wile ago :hihi::D

I remember Fitzallen Square before the hole in the road was built..as a teenager I used to hang around that area a lot..when the the Hole in the road complex was built we were told that it was going to be extended way down the Moor so you could go shopping underground and never get wet by the rain......The Fish by the way were "Piranhas".

Archived