Who remembers the old Sheffield?

What about the little mesters workshops where Ponds Forge / Bus Station is now. On the opposite side of the road there was a little takeaway where you would get served through a hatch in the wall?:)

It was not little mesters workshops it was the Joseph Rodgers cutlery works, my grandfather started his apprenticeship there in 1912. It was used as the council's rent office in the late 60's early seventies.

I remember the takeaway when it was used as the office for a school of motoring, BSM I think.

I remember playing on the bombed sites on my way to school in the middle of town behind where Argos is now. Along Campo lane and through Paradise Square on to the Tram Sheds where there were more bombed buildings to play in. Balconies hanging crazily down which we climbed up and ran across and then up Solly St bombed right to up the school, heaps of rubble on both sides.

There were slot machines with pictures of chocolate bars that it was said could be had for a penny. Seemed like a fairy tale to me as I could not remember them working.

That's my memories of my old Sheffield.

hazel

The old 'rag and tag' market. I used to go with my mum and would hold on to her hand or coat all the time so I wouldn't get lost. Most of the time all I could see were legs!

What about the old Pond Street bus station? How many people must have met at the kiosk over the years? Pond Street Nora, the cafe filled with bus drivers and conductors (remember them?), the map that lit up various places and services whilst in the middle it proudly proclaimed "You are here".

remember the old indoor market now that was good. I went to casle market and went down the ramp where all the meat stalls are and its changed from wot i remembered all the butchers used to shout get ur sos n so here 2lb for price of 1 and all that.

Going to Castleton on the train via Hope Station with school pals Barry Bishop,Dave Hunston, Rodney mac, Mick Battles Roger Cade plus others and of course the young girlfriends!! This was back in the late 1950s when we were all around 14/15/16...Then on Tuesdays we would go to the Memo bhind Hillsborough baths for a Dance...MEMORIES

Going to Castleton on the train via Hope Station with school pals Barry Bishop,Dave Hunston, Rodney mac, Mick Battles Roger Cade plus others and of course the young girlfriends!! This was back in the late 1950s when we were all around 14/15/16...Then on Tuesdays we would go to the Memo bhind Hillsborough baths for a Dance...MEMORIES

Big memories Roy. Going under Totley Tunnel with the lights out!!!! Some clever bird having unscrewed the light bulb with her toes????

Giving Keith Littlewood a wide berth at the Memo, although there were some good scrappers in our crowd. Reminds me of the advert on telly. Have you seen me dancin', really, really dancin'?

Anyone remember the old brass weighing scales (for people)in the old markets .. used to love sitting in them when the stall wasnt too busy, think the scales was under Commercial Street in the little arches....sometime lateish 60s

Archived